1 year contract position
Regent Park Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary health care and a range of community programs to residents of Regent Park and the surrounding areas.
The Health Access Project is a one-year research and health promotion project, funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, to assess and document health access issues for current and future residents of Regent Park. Regent Park, the largest and oldest public housing neighbourhood in Canada, is in the process of a 15-year redevelopment that will involve relocation of over 2,000 households in 6 2-year phases and will result in the population almost doubling by the end of the process.
Reporting to the Community Health Director, the Community Health Promoter will
* work with a reference group to develop a research plan to collect and analyze data on health care utilization for the diverse population of Regent Park, identify capacity issues and service gaps, and project health care needs for the future population of the neighbourhood;
* work with the Health and Safety Committee of Regent Park Resident Council to support its role in addressing health needs and issues for residents, including education and advocacy;
* support and initiate community-capacity building initiatives with residents; and
* assist Regent Park CHC in developing its research capacity.
* Master's degree in Health Promotion or related discipline
* Experience and competency in data collection and analysis, in community based research methods and related capacity-building approaches to research and health promotion
* Knowledge and experience of health promotion and community organizing activities in diverse low-income communities
* Knowledge of and a commitment to community-based health services that serve the needs of general and priority populations
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team and with a range of community partners
* Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
Knowledge of health services in downtown Toronto an asset. Knowledge of one of the major languages of Regent Park would also be an asset but is not a requirement.
The position will involve regular office hours with some evening and occasional weekend meetings and activities.
Salary Range: $46,314 to $55,800 plus benefits
Application Deadline: Thursday, March 24, 2005
Please apply in writing (no faxes or emails please) to
Community Health Director
Regent Park Community Health Centre
465 Dundas Street East
Toronto, ON M5A 2B2
Regent Park Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.