Start date: September 6, 2005
The White Ribbon Campaign is an international effort led by men that encourages men and boys to work to end violence against women. It has grown from a local effort in Canada to almost 50 countries. The WRC has now received funding from the Canadian International Development Agency for a three-year cooperation project with the WRC in Brazil. In additional to fostering international cooperation, supporting the Brazilian WRC, and developing it as a regional hub for Latin America, the project focuses on training and on the development of educational resources, some aimed at youth, some for the workplace, some on issues concerning fatherhood.
The Program Officer will
* offer day-to-day leadership for this three year project of cooperation, technical exchange, and resource production;
* be the day-to-day link with our partners in Brazil;
* play the central role in producing resource materials and organizing training sessions;
* be responsible for helping manage a substantial budget;
* produce written and financial reports and documentation on the project;
* work under the direction of the WRC Executive Director who will be directing the project.
Education and prior experience
* A university degree (a graduate degree in Latin American studies, international relations, gender studies, or similar would be an asset)
* Solid international experience particularly at a program level
* Proven experience developing educational or awareness-raising materials
* Experience working in a collaborative and cooperative environment, especially in the NGO sector
Managerial and organizational skills
* Proven ability in all aspects of project management, including financial
* Proven ability to work in a not-for-profit or educational setting, preferably at the international level
* Good negotiation and mediation skills and strong relationship-building skills
* Proven ability to meet deadlines and clearly report project results
Language and Technical skills
* High degree of proficiency speaking and writing in English
* Fluency in Portuguese or Spanish highly desired
* Solid computer skills: word processing, spreadsheet, Internet
* Experience at writing grant applications an asset
Other knowledge competencies
* An ability to articulate men s perspectives on gender equality and ending violence against women is an asset
* A strong cross-cultural competency
Term: A three-year, full-time contractual position, starting September 6, 2005.
Location: The Toronto office of the White Ribbon Campaign, Bloor and Sherbourne
Salary: In first year, $41-45,000 plus benefits (depending on experience). A fixed cost-of-living increase in years two and three.
Benefits: Medical plan, CPP, UIC
Holidays: Approximately 1.5 weeks at Christmas/New Year (depending on the calendar) plus 2 weeks in the first and second years, 3 weeks in the third (and 4 after that if at the completion of this contract a new contract is offered.)
Travel: The successful candidate must be able to travel to Brazil once or, sometimes, twice a year, staying there for two weeks to a month. Timing of these visits will be according to the schedules of our Brazilian colleagues.
Application deadline: All applications must reach the WRC office by Wednesday, July 20, 2005 at 4:30 p.m. Please mail, deliver or courier to
365 Bloor Street East, Suite 204
Toronto, ON M4W 3L4
Faxes will not be accepted. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org are acceptable if the covering letter and CV are in PDF format (preferred) or Word (for Windows), but we strongly encourage mailed, delivered, or couriered originals in order to avoid electronic glitches.
Contact: Candidates invited to the interview stage will be contacted by telephone and will be asked to submit the names of three references. No agencies or telephone calls, please. We thank you in advance for your interest in the White Ribbon Campaign.