(Up to One Year)
($26.81-$31.10 per hour plus a comprehensive benefit package)
Reporting to the Manager of Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention, the Health Promotion Specialist will work within a multi-disciplinary team, utilizing a research-based approach to promote and provide best practice smoking cessation initiatives and services to employees, retirees, and their families at workplaces represented by the CAW union throughout Windsor-Essex County. The position involves working closely with workplace contacts and representatives of the 13 CAW locals throughout Windsor-Essex County, as well as with health and human service professionals, NGO representatives, health promotion service providers, community groups, coalitions, and individual smokers.
Key areas of responsibility include the development, implementation, and monitoring of a comprehensive smoking cessation strategy for CAW workers, retirees, and family members throughout Windsor-Essex County. The goal is to encourage smokers, those who want to quit and those who don't, to engage in program activities aimed at getting them to quit or move toward quitting smoking. Review of relevant literature and existing smoking cessation programs and strategies will be required in order to identify, recommend, and implement best practices. The position requires collection and provision of data and other information according to MOHLTC guidelines. A commitment to continuous quality improvement of the program is essential.
* A minimum of a Masters Degree in health promotion or a related field
* At least one year's experience working in the area of health promotion, smoking cessation and behaviour change
* A strong background in program development, program implementation, program evaluation, social marketing, education and behavioural change
* Superior communication, problem solving, analytical, and interpersonal skills
* High level of proficiency with MS Office Professional computer software applications
* A valid Ontario Driver's Licence and access to a reliable motor vehicle during working hours
* A criminal clearance certificate must be provided at the applicant's cost
* Competence in both official languages
* Familiarity with the principles and standards of quality assurance programs (Best Practices, ISO, NQI, etc.)
* Familiarity and comfort with organizational and union dynamics within the manufacturing sector
Qualified individuals are to forward a r