(Ontario Physical and Health Education Association) is a dynamic
not-for-profit organization with a staff of approximately 30
individuals. Ophea exists to support Ontario's school communities
through advocacy, quality programs and services, and partnership
building in order to enable children and youth to lead active, healthy
lives. Services are provided to a variety of individuals including
elementary and secondary school teachers, public health professionals,
and recreation leaders. Ophea also works closely with provincial
government ministries, corporations, and other not-for-profit
A Research Specialist is required by Ophea to be
responsible for researching and analyzing issues and trends regarding
the health of children and youth. This position leads
program/organizational evaluation and environmental/market research,
and supports program development, marketing/communications, and public
Knowledge (formal education or general knowledge) required
A University degree in Health Sciences, Health Promotion, Statistics or
Business Management, with a strong background in research and program
evaluation. Knowledge of health promotion and the health and physical
education community, particularly as it pertains to children and youth
would be an asset.
Skills & Experience required
years experience with various quantitative and qualitative research
methodologies coupled with program evaluation, market research,
reporting techniques, as well as statistical packages (SPSS) is
required. Experience in writing/communications, as well as familiarity
with the operation of not-for-profit organizations, and an
understanding of the government, corporate and foundation sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Leads planning and implementation of research activities and program evaluation.
* Develops tools for research and evaluation.
* Leads the analysis of data and reports on findings (e.g., program evaluation reports).
* Coordinates the collection and entry of data.
* Works with service providers to implement program research/evaluation activities, where applicable.
* Conducts literature reviews by researching relevant issues and trends.
* Organizes and conducts focus groups, key informant interviews and surveys and summarizes and disseminates findings.
2. Provides input into program and organizational planning process.
* Leads the planning of project specific activities for research and evaluation.
* Provides input and support to the development of the organizational evaluation plan.
* Monitors the research and evaluation budgets.
* Supports the development of program plans.
* Gathers information to support program and organizational planning.
3. Leads organizational evaluation activities.
* Coordinates the collection, compilation and analysis of data for organizational evaluation (i.e., Balanced Scorecard).
* Works with Management Team to interpret organizational evaluation results.
* Leads the development of tracking systems and monitors effectiveness of the tracking systems.
4 Provides updated research on issues and trends relevant to particular projects and to the organization.
* Leads information gathering.
* Develops updates on issues and trends.
* Provides research content for proposals and grant applications as appropriate.
* Maintains current research library (paper and electronic).
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
To apply, please forward your resume no later than October 14, 2005, to
Ophea (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association)
1185 Eglinton Avenue East, Suite 501
North York, ON M3C 3C6
Fax: (416) 426-7373
Please note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.