Summary of Duties
Public Health Services, City of Hamilton seeks a full-time permanent Nutritionist
Reporting to the Manager, Chronic Disease Prevention - Children &
Youth, the Public Health Nutritionist plans, develops, implements and
evaluates nutrition promotion initiatives in keeping with the
requirements of the Nutrition Promotion Program Standard under the
Health Protection and Promotion Act, (Section 7), policies of the
Corporation and approved budget. This position is also responsible for
project management and participates in the planning, development and
evaluation of lifestyle programs which have a nutrition
focus/component. The position involves extensive community liaison and
mobilization, analysis of nutrition issues and recommendation of
nutrition policy options, consultation to staff and the community on
nutrition promotion strategies and collaboration with other staff in
the Healthy Lifestyles Branch in the development of integrated
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in foods and nutrition
normally acquired through the completion of a Master's Degree in
Community Nutrition and/or a combination of education and related work
- Must be eligible for membership in the College of Dietitians of Ontario.
- Eligibility for academic appointment at the University of Guelph.
- Nutritionist plans, develops, implements and evaluates nutrition
promotion initiatives in keeping with the requirements of the Nutrition
Promotion Program Standard under the Health Protection and Promotion
Act, (Section 7), policies of the Corporation and approved budget.
- Demonstrated ability in the planning, developing, implementing
and evaluating nutrition promotion initiatives in keeping with the
Nutrition Promotion Program Standard requirements. Demonstrated ability
to work with Public Health Nurses, Physicians.
- Professional, well-developed and highly effective written, verbal and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Highly effective in the facilitation, communication and
presentations as well as possess interpersonal and organizational
- Experienced in developing and delivering customer focused programs and services.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel individuals and groups on nutritional practices designed to prevent disease and promote health.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise and consult with physicians,
Public Health Nurses and community organizations on nutrition promotion.
- Demonstrated ability to design and deliver training programs in a variety of media on nutrition promotion.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate field placement experiences for students.
Salary: Grade 5, $60,067.28-$70,670.60 per annum
Hours: 35 per week
The Incumbent Shall Comply with All Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this Position and the Workplace
It is the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications,
licences and related experience with their application for this
competition and ensure their application reaches the Human Resources
Department by the closing date or they may not be considered. On the
basis of the criteria set out above, this positing is open to all
Staffing Specialist: Tara Russo
Please apply on or before 06/01/2006.
Manager, Chronic Disease Prevention Children & Youth
Healthy Lifestyles & Youth Branch
Public Health Services
City of Hamilton
Tel: (905) 546-2424 x3520
Cell: (905) 978-2923
Fax: (905) 546-3658