Position Type: Full Time
Location(s): City of Toronto
Date of Posting: September 25, 2006
Application Deadline: October 18, 2006
Framework of Practice
Women's Health in Women's Hands is a community health centre providing
community, mental and clinical health promotion support to Black Women
and Women of Colour from the Caribbean, African, Latin American and
South Asian communities in Metropolitan Toronto and surrounding
municipalities. We work from an inclusive feminist, pro-choice,
anti-racist, anti-oppression and multilingual participatory framework.
WHIWH is seeking an Executive Director. This is a full-time position reporting to the Board of Directors.
- Provide leadership and day-to-day management of the centre
consistent with the framework of practice and the priorities and
limitations established by the board, by funders, and by legislation.
- Act as a resource to the development of a strategic plan and ensure that it is operationalized.
- Provide resources, advice and regular information to the Board of Directors to support their governance responsibilities.
- At all times, ensure that the human, financial and capital
resources of the organization are protected and managed both
efficiently and in support of meeting the Centre's strategic and
- Pursue opportunities to increase the organizational capacity of the centre and to sustain and/or grow the centre's resources.
- Develop and sustain a highly motivated staff working within a productive and inclusive work environment.
- Develop and maintain positive and strategic partnerships with
funders, within the community health sector, with other community
organizations and institutions, and with the community at large.
- Advocate for healthy public policy and access to resources required for a healthy community.
- Graduate degree from a recognized university in a relevant discipline or comparable education and experience.
- Five or more years' management experience in a community health or social services setting.
- Proven financial and risk management skills.
- A working knowledge of employment standards and best practices.
- The ability to motivate, supervise, delegate, and evaluate staff and manage conflict where necessary and appropriate.
- Organizational skills, including being able to correctly prioritize and manage multiple and complex projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills combined with an ease in public speaking.
- Knowledge of women's health issues and a commitment to address
and advocate regarding the determinants of health caused by gender,
race, class, violence, sexual orientation, religion, culture, language,
disability, immigration status and socio-economic circumstances.
- Experience in managing evaluation and research projects.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain productive relationships
with other community-based organizations, a volunteer Board of
Directors, and government agencies.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact by: Email, Fax, Mail
Amount: Salary is consistent with salaries across the community health
sector and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Job Contact Information
Apply in confidence to
Fax: (416) 690-3087
Women's Health in Women's Hands
2 Carlton Street, Suite 500
Toronto, ON M5B 1J3
Attention: Cavelle Davis
Please include File # 45940 on your envelope and cover letter.