Department: Research, Advocacy and Health Promotion
Reports to: Sr. Manager, Government Relations
Location: Provincial Office
Status: 1 year Contract, Full time
Description of Position
The Tobacco Control Specialists main function is to serve as the HSFO
"point person" for the day-to-day relationship with the OTN (Ontario
Tobacco Network) and handle projects that relate specifically to
tobacco control. The role includes being responsible for the
development and maintenance of related HSFO policy positioning / key
health messages and supporting tobacco control efforts, conferences,
initiatives that link the OTN, HSFO Provincial Office resources, HSFO
Field resources and HSFO volunteers.
The specialist also serves as a key member of the Ontario Tobacco Control Network.
- Supporting / liaising with HSFO Provincial Office and HSFO Field to support all local and provincial tobacco control priorities;
- Represent HSFO on OTN;
- Represent OTN on Smoke Free Ontario bodies: Tobacco Control
Area Network (several regional meetings - requires travel); various
- Monitor / report on key tobacco control policy developments
- Planning meetings and coordinating conferences
- Administration of grant applications
- Develop and deliver community mobilization activities, as
required, working with HSFO Field, volunteers, local Smoke Free
Councils, Health Units, Tobacco Control Area Networks
- Develop and deliver tobacco control / educational messages
- Research and respond to related public issues / correspondence
Establish and maintain positive working relationships with:
- OTN colleagues ( the Lung Association, Canadian Cancer Society -
Ontario Division and the Ontario Campaign for Action on Tobacco)
- HSFO Government Relations team
- Supporting role to HSFO Manager, Government Partner Programs in media / communications campaigns
- other lateral/collateral relationships include HSFC and Provincial members of the Federation
- Ministry of Health Promotion officials (as required)
- Balancing the interests and demands of the HSFO, the OTN and its'
partner agencies and the Ministry of Health Promotion on tobacco control
- Getting up to speed quickly in a complex environment
- The ability to understand and integrate cross foundation objectives into OTN / stakeholder plans
- Quick learner, flexible, able quickly respond to issues, formulate responses and execute advocacy plans.
- Ability to adapt to change and excel in evolving situations.
Results-Oriented With Diplomatic Approach
- Results-oriented self-starter with strong focus on achieving
desired outcomes. Proactively anticipates and resolve potential
issues. Takes action to address obstacles and demonstrates pride
and commitment to work.
- Communicates clearly with others, including active listening;
- Balances results orientation by employing tact, judgment and
diplomatic communications to work well with other peers in group
settings, at all times representing HSFO as an ambassador
Project and Customer Management Skills
- Excellent project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse staff.
- Customer service and communications skills.
Influence and Interpersonal Savvy
- A combination of excellent communication skills, technical
skills, interpersonal skills, and skills of persuasion to help maintain
credibility for HSFO / OTN and gain the support of
stakeholders/internal customers with diverse perspectives.
- Contributes to a strong teamwork environment through
demonstration of mutual respect, problem solving, conflict resolution
and goal orientation
- Experience in policy and / or communications roles
- Knowledge of tobacco control policy a definite asset
- 2-3 years relevant experience
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your application by February 5, 2007 to
2300 Yonge Street, Suite 1300
Toronto, ON M4P 1E4
We thank all applicants but will only be contacting those selected for interviews.