Applications are being accepted for a post-doctoral fellowship to be held in the Department of Sociology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon.
The successful candidate will work with Dr. Roanne Thomas-MacLean and other members of her research teams. Dr. Thomas-MacLean holds a CIHR/SHRF New Investigator Award which provides for protected time for research (see http://www.arts.usask.ca/sociology/people/RTM.php for some additional details), and the Department of Sociology provides an environment and infrastructural support for research. This includes administrative, financial, infrastructural and technical assistance in securing, implementing and managing research projects. The Department houses the Social Research Unit which employs a library scientist who works as an integral member of various research teams and provides a range of support services.
Dr. Thomas-MacLean is currently PI or Co-Investigator on the following funded studies which address
- Disability after breast cancer (CIHR)
- Quality end of life care (SHRF)
- Physicians' experiences with mentorship (SHRF)
- Aboriginal women's experiences of breast cancer, using photography (CBCRA)
This position represents an excellent opportunity for the candidate to develop a strong program of research connected to a variety of domains, with access to potential mentors in diverse fields, including sociology, family medicine, nursing and psychology. In addition to research opportunities, the successful candidate will acquire teaching experience at the undergraduate, and possibly graduate, levels.
- Conducting literature searches and writing reviews, in collaboration with the library scientist
- Participating in various research group and team meetings
- Contributing to developing and writing research grant proposals, including proposals congruent with the candidate's research interests
- Assisting with qualitative data collection and analysis using NVivo
- Analyzing survey data using SPSS
- Assisting with the writing of reports, presentations and publications
- Participating in, and coordinating, workshops
- Assisting with the supervision of research assistants
- Other research-related activities which may also be assigned
- Teaching and assisting with related courses
Qualifications: PhD (in Sociology or a health-related field) with experience in quantitative data analysis. Experience with qualitative data analysis is desirable, but training can be provided. Preference will be given to an applicant with experience or a significant interest in working with multidisciplinary research teams. Some proficiency with literature searches and syntheses is required. The candidate must have strong organizational, communication and computer skills. She/he must be self-directed and capable of managing multiple tasks.
Salary: $38,000 per annum (plus research allowance up to $5,000/year)
Start time: Immediately, but there is some flexibility
Time frame: One year, with a strong possibility for renewal to three years
Applicants please submit (electronically or by mail) a current C.V., the names and contact information of three academic references, and a sample of writing to
Dr. Roanne Thomas-MacLean
Department of Sociology
University of Saskatchewan
Room 1014, Arts Building
9 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A5
Tel: (306) 966-1489