Closing Date: Thursday June 7, 2007, at 5:00 p.m.
Contract Dates: June 11 until August 17, 2007 (10 weeks at 35 hours/week)
Salary: This is a full time contract at $10.00 per hour (negotiable).
The Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse (OPC) is a 21-year-old bilingual non-profit information and resource service for prevention and health promotion practitioners. OPC has five programs: general health promotion, maternal and child health, a collaboration of 22 health promotion organizations, a provincial stroke prevention initiative and national health promotion online information. OPC uses electronic and print collections to serve their clients (visit http://www.opc.on.ca/english/index.htm).
The student will gain familiarity with Health Promotion sector. Build networks within the Health Industry through contact with variety of organizations and programs. Gain research, writing and editing skills. Gain experience establishing relationships with wide variety of professionals (Administrative, Technology, Information Specialists, Health Promotion Consultants, Managers, etc.). Develop communication skills through contact with wide variety of organizations: Non Government Organizations and various Ministries of the government of Ontario.
You must be a student who
a. was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year; intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year; and is attending a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
b. is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the time of intake/selection;
c. is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Act:
d. is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
e. is not working 30 hours or more per week at another job.
- Updating French information on web based database
- Updating Electronic Bulletin subscriber information in both French and English
- Revising/updating published list of Health Promotion information available in French on the internet
- Searching for appropriate websites, articles, events, jobs to post on Electronic Bulletin in French and English
- Write/research articles about Health Promotion for Electronic Bulletin in French and English
- Create and implement a work plan to promote the distribution of the French Electronic Bulletin
- Undertake other duties as required
- Position requires French-English oral and written fluency.
- Minimum High School diploma. Prefer university or college programs in information sciences, library technician, health informatics, or other health field with information experience
- Experience with organizing digital resources and/or print materials, and with databases, is an asset
- Ability to take initiative, plan, prioritize and organize work
- Ability to pay attention to detail
Deadline & Contact Information
Interested candidates should send in a resume and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications, eligibility and experience, to the attention of Human Resources by 5:00 pm Thursday, June 7, 2007.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please note Subject as Student-Bilingual Program Support)
By fax: (416) 408-2122.
Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
180 Dundas Street West, Suite 1900
Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1Z8
Prefer applications sent by email. No telephone calls, please.
We thank all applicants but only those under consideration will be contacted. For more information about OPC, visit http://www.opc.on.ca. OPC is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Students facing barriers to the labour market, such as those with disabilities, visible minorities and Aboriginal students are encouraged to apply.
This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs 2007.