- Alberta Centre for Active Living article, "Promoting a Healthy Body Image Through Physical Activity," by Pirkko Marko, PhD, Professor, Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta. This article gives fitness professionals practical suggestions for ways to promote physical activity for improved health rather than as a way to reach an unrealistic body image.
- Dietitians of Canada article, "Hunger on Campus: Understanding Food Insecurity in Post-Secondary Students," ny Krista Rondeau, RD, MSc candidate, Centre for Health Promotion Studies, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB. Find out about hunger and food banks on Canadian campuses. The article especially focuses on a study of student food insecurity at the University of Alberta Campus Food Bank.
- To post articles from Research Update on your website or in your newsletter, please contact Kathy Garnsworthy ([email protected]). To subscribe to RSS updates from the Alberta Centre for Active Living's website, visit http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/rssfeedinfo.html.
News from the Alberta Centre for Active Living
- Visit the centre's new Physical Activity @ Work website, http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/workplace/
- The centre is looking for a new Research Coordinator (competition deadline: June 12). For more information, visit http://www.centre4activeliving.ca.
- Centre's Physical Activity Backgrounder for Decision-Makers is an information sheet for decision-makers that details the reasons to promote physical activity policies. The handout also lists Canadian and Albertan rates of physical inactivity and some of the major costs of physical inactivity (http://www.centre4activeliving.ca/publications/factsheets.html).
- Spring into Summer with SummerActive, May 11 to June 22, 2007 (http://www.summeractive.org). May 24, 2007, was Alberta Active Living Challenge Day. Over 65,198 Albertans registered their physical activity on Challenge Day.
The Alberta Centre for Active Living is affiliated with the Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation at the University of Alberta and supported by the Alberta Sport, Recreation, Parks & Wildlife Foundation and the Alberta Government.