If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this career opportunity within our Family Health Division in Peel Health Services.
Public Health Nurse, Homelessness Initiative (PHN#07-11)
The Family Health Homelessness Initiative requires a creative, self-starting and persuasive leader with experience working with homelessness and clients at risk for homelessness. The individual works in a self-directed manner within a collaborative team environment to design and deliver Public Health services to residents of transitional and shelter facilities (i.e., Peel Youth Village, Peel Family Shelter). The successful candidate will work collaboratively with colleagues in other divisions/departments who work directly with at risk homeless clients. This individual may also be required to provide interim support to other Child and Reproductive Health programs as required.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Plan, implement and evaluate the Family Health Homelessness Initiative in consultation with Family Health management, colleagues and other key stakeholders
- Provide Public Health services to residents living in designated homeless shelters/transitional facilities (i.e. prenatal education, breastfeeding services, parenting, health teaching re: physical and mental health issues, crisis management/referral, health promotion activities for issues such as substance abuse and smoking, physical activity)
- Provide health consultation for shelter staff
- Coordinate, link and refer residents and shelter staff to health related community services,
- Facilitate integrated relationships between Peel Public Health and community agencies/coalitions.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Demonstrated expertise and work experience with high risk families, including homeless and those at risk for homelessness
- Expertise in the area of child and reproductive health and working with multidisciplinary professionals
- Demonstrated skill in delivering service to families with children, prenatal to 6 years and youth
- Experience in psychosocial, mental health and harm reduction issues
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill in the areas of health promotion (i.e. health education, social marketing, advocacy, policy development and fiscal management)
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to follow through with preset timelines and to make adaptations as necessary
- Ability to persuasively communicate complex health messages and information in everyday language in both oral and written forms
- Strong assessment, facilitation, organizational, problem solving, presentation and planning skills
- Strong computer skills in MS Outlook, Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Peel's diverse community
- a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University
- a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- recent experience in public health (preferred).
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- a salary range from $55,705-$66,796
- a comprehensive benefits package
- tuition assistance
- training and development
- advancement opportunities
- a pension plan (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System-OMERS)
- a healthy workplace
- a family orientated environment and
- a voice in the development of corporate initiatives and much more!
To apply, please visit us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Click on current listings and Public Health Nurse, Homelessness Initiative (PHN#07-11). You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience and education. Applicants who responded to our current ongoing ad will be considered and there is no need to re-apply. The position closes on August 9, 2007.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.