Location: Heart Health and Cancer Prevention
Position: Youth Advisor - Ontario Tobacco Strategy
Youth Action Alliance
Salary Range: $20.91-$26.14 per hour (A3)
Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration
will be contacted. This position is being offered on a part time basis consisting of 28 hours per week. This position may be filled by multiple incumbents.
Post-secondary college diploma in Recreation, Child and Youth Worker, Volunteer Management, Community Development or other related discipline is required. A minimum of two years experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge or experience in tobacco control, youth engagement, youth empowerment and community activism. Demonstrated experience in program planning, public speaking, event planning and group facilitation is essential. Candidate must possess strong organizational skills and a proven ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team. Proven research, problem solving, and analytical skills are required. Experience in recruiting and mobilizing volunteers and community partners is an asset. Strong written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills are essential. Strong computer skills are required. An equivalent combination of education and related work experience will be considered. Must posses a valid Ontario driver's license and supply own transportation.
Working Conditions: Work outside normal business hours including evening and weekend work will be required.
- Collaborates with Program Supervisor, Peer Leader and Community Partners to plan, implement and evaluate community based youth-led tobacco prevention activities that support the goals of the Youth Action Alliance (YAA) and the Smoke-Free
- Ontario Strategy.
- Co-ordinates and supports the recruitment and participation of youth and adult members in YAA activities.
- Collaborates with Program Supervisor and community partners to develop and facilitate knowledge and skill building training sessions for members of YAA.
- Tracks hours of service for peer leaders and volunteers.
- Facilitates meetings of peer leaders, volunteers and community partners.
- Attends and support activities of the Central West Youth Tobacco Control Area Network.
- Collaborates with Program Supervisor to prepare reports on program achievements and outcomes.
- Liaises with youth serving organizations, community partners and Health Department teams to advance the goals of the YAA.
- Participates on internal and community committees and networks as required.
- Attends all training events.
- Provides support and feedback to youth members involved in YAA program to facilitate skill building, personal growth and program success.
- Supports the development and implementation of annual work plan for YAA program.
- Facilitates youth and community involvement in the planning, implementation and evaluation of YAA activities.
- Provides ongoing feedback to program supervisor on status of program activities and youth participation and performance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: July 25, 2007
Posting Expires: August 1, 2007
Posting #: H-268-07
Note: Personal information collected through the job application process will
only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Questions about the job application process can be directed to the contact below.
Apply online at http://www.halton.ca or by fax or mail:
Human Resource Services
Regional Municipality of Halton
1151 Bronte Road
Oakville, ON L6M 3L1
Fax: (905) 825-4032