Sherbourne Health Centre is a free-standing health centre funded by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. The Centre provides innovative primary health care to all the diverse populations of Southeast Toronto with special focus on newcomers/immigrants, people who are homeless, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans communities.
We are presently looking for a Health Promoter with a holistic focus on newcomer and immigrant health to join our Family Health Team. The Health Promoter will provide mental health and addictions outreach, education, community development and advocacy to newcomers and immigrants within Sherbourne's catchment area with an emphasis on residents of social housing and people who are homeless. This is an exciting opportunity to work as a member of an inter-disciplinary care team to develop and provide a diverse and varied service in a community based setting.
The Health Promoter utilizes adult education, community development, research/evaluation and policy strategies to enhance the mental well being of communities with a broad range of mental health, emotional health and substance use issues. S/he makes the links between mental health and substance use problems and trauma, violence, settlement, family or relationship issues, loss, coming out, and transitioning.
- Education at the bachelor level in social science or health discipline OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 3 years experience working with people with mental health and/or substance use issues
- Excellent community outreach and community development skills
- Up-to-date knowledge of the needs of the diverse communities of South East Toronto and experience developing culture specific resources
- Experience working in interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary teams
- Experience working with people affected by poverty, violence, homelessness, stigma, racism and/or homophobia/transphobia
- Experience working within an anti-oppressive and trauma informed framework
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Preference will be given to applicants able to work in one or more of the following languages in addition to English: Tamil, Tagalog, Cantonese, Mandarin, Somali, or Vietnamese
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including participation in the Hospital of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) and professional development.
As an employer, Sherbourne Health Centre is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Application: If you are interested in this position, please forward a cover letter and resume by November 16, 2007, to
Sherbourne Health Centre
333 Sherbourne Street
Toronto, ON M5A 2S5
Fax: (416) 324-4188
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.