City of Hamilton, Corporate Services Department
Human Resources Division-Organizational Development, Healthy, Safety & Wellness
Location: 120 King Street West, 9th Floor
Organization Development Specialist
1 Permanent Full Time Position
Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Co-ordinator, Organizational Development. As a team member in the Performance Consulting Section, provides a full range of consulting services and learning opportunities to enhance individual, team and group performance.
- Promote an organizational culture in which employees, teams and groups can learn and excel, by conducting literature searches; designing and administering assessments and surveys; interpreting results; making recommendations, implementing activities, and measuring results of corporate-wide developmental initiatives.
- Develop collaborative working relationships with clients to learn client businesses and identify performance goals on an individual, team and/or group basis.
- Conduct performance analyses to assess process, work environment and skill strengths and gaps; assess learning needs; design, deliver and/or broker selected performance improvement or process improvement interventions to produce measurable results.
- Collaborate with clients to identify benefits and create value in the delivery of services.
- Manage projects in training, performance improvement and implementation; organize resources; provide direction and co-ordination of work as appropriate to the project and serve as project advocate and achieve project milestones.
- Provide change, process and/or performance improvement consulting services, which include assessment of current and future initiatives, consultation re-design and the implementation of change and transition processes and training.
- Develop contracts for services with clients, and through the use of project management techniques, construct workplans, identify and organize resources, oversee tasks teams, and establish performance metrics to ensure successful performance interventions, change management initiatives and process improvements.
- Design, deliver and/or broker training and development opportunities on an organizational, departmental, divisional, team or individual basis to enhance individual, team and/or group performance in meeting goals and objectives.
- Measure and evaluate effectiveness of training and development opportunities in contributing to individual, team and/or group performance.
- Facilitate meetings, planning sessions and group processes.
- Counsel individuals, teams and/or groups on skills, competencies, career development and behaviour change.
- Administer special projects and activities related to performance improvement and change management.
- Mediate discussions and offer alternative dispute resolution among employees and teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the responsibilities of the position.
- In-depth knowledge of human performance normally attained through post secondary education with emphasis in behavioural sciences, instructional technology, adult education, process improvement, organizational development and/or change management.
- Progressive experience in performance consulting in a multi-business, highly unionized environment.
- Experience in a computerized environment. Good working knowledge of Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook and desktop publishing software.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and communicate effectively at all organizational levels.
- Sound knowledge of relevant legislation, statutes, regulations and applicable to Human Resources (Human Rights, Employment Standards).
- Well developed planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues, operational management and direct service staff in identifying and meeting human resource needs.
- Previous research, presentation and communications experience.
- Strong statistical, analytical and presentation skills.
- Experience in facilitating mediation and/or alternative dispute resolution between employees.
- Experience in designing and delivering focused programs and services.
Salary: Salary Grade 5, $61,568.78-$72,437.82 per annum
Hours: 35 per week
The incumbent shall comply with all health and safety policies and practices for this position and the workplace.
The posting opens November 15th and closes November 28th.
It is the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above with their application for this competition and ensure their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all present employees.
Applicants wishing to access the job posting online through the City of Hamilton website, please visit http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/CityServices/Careers/.
Applicants wishing to submit their resumes in person please visit
Human Resources Department
120 King Street West, 9th Floor
Applicants wishing to mail their application please mail to the following address:
Human Resources Department
c/o City Hall
71 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5