Deadline of Application: Monday, December 10, 2007
Contract: 1 year, renewable
Number of hours/week: 21
Starting Date: Immediately
Asian Community AIDS Services (ACAS) is looking for a passionate and experienced person to fill a part-time, contract position at Asian Community AIDS Services.
1. Represent ACAS to articulate concerns and needs of the populations that ACAS serve at the following provincial-wide meetings, initiatives:
1.1 Ontario MSM (men having sex with men) /Gay Men HIV Prevention Advisory Committee
-subcommittees: Annual Campaign; Gay Men Summit
1.2 HIV Testing Advisory
1.3 M-Track/Lambda Research Study
1.4 Gay Men Strategy Committee (Federal Public Health of Canada)
1.5 Ontario- Ethno-cultural Gay Men Research Committee
2. Plan and liase with ACAS MSM Outreach Program Coordinator and volunteers to promote the Provincial MSM/Gay Men HIV Prevention Annual Campaign
3. Work in collaboration with MSM Outreach Program Coordinator and volunteers to promote safer sex among Asian MSM in bathhouses and bars (as time permitted)
4. Work in collaboration with the research committee and/or researchers on research projects related to MSM Participate in ACAS Strategic Plan for MSM/Gay Men Program
5. Attend ACAS MSM Education/Outreach Committee meetings and report to the committee of the work progress
6. Participate in ACAS working group on developing Positive Prevention for Gay men program
7. Other duties as outlined in the job description of the Provincial MSM/Gay Men HIV Prevention Advisory Committee, or under the direction of the Executive Director.
8. Maintain statistics, prepare written reports as deemed necessary
- Bachelor's Degree in related field and/or front-line work experience equivalent to the job requirements.
- Knowledge, interest, and experience in issues of HIV/AIDS prevention, healthy sexuality, and LGBTTIQ.
- Familiarity with the East and Southeast Asian gay communities in Toronto
- Familiarity with policy development process at provincial level in the area of HIV , sexual health, and/or healthcare
- Ability to articulate and deliver messages in formal meeting setting
- Good communication and writing skills in English
- Excellent ability to prioritize, delegate, and handle multiple tasks
- Basic research skills
- Ability to work under a queer-positive, sex-positive, and anti-oppression work environment
- Fluency in an East or Southeast Asian language an asset
Send a cover letter and resume, preferably in email format, to
Asian Community AIDS Services
33 Isabella Street, suite 107
Toronto, ON M4Y 2P7
Fax: (416) 963-4371
Please put on email Subject: Application-Gay Men Strategy Officer
We regret that we will only contact candidates selected for interviews, which will be taken place during the week of Dec 17-21, 2007.