The Middlesex-London Health Unit has an exciting opportunity for a casual Tobacco Enforcement Officer to work as part of the Tobacco Control Team within Environmental Health and Chronic Disease Prevention Services.
The successful candidate will
- Conduct inspections of public places and workplaces to identify any infractions of the City of London Smoke-Free Public Places and Smoke-Free Workplaces by-laws; County of Middlesex By-law #5682 and the Smoke-Free Ontario Act;
- Request compliance and issue orders related to proper signage and discontinuation of smoking in public places;
- Liaise with municipalities concerning smoking by-laws;
- Provide presentations on tobacco use and enforcement to the public;
- Prepare documentation for court cases;
- Respond to public and owner/operator complaints, inquiries and information requests;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- College diploma in Security and Law Enforcement or in Legal Administration, or equivalent education and experience
- Qualified to become designated as a Provincial Offences Officer
- Familiarity with the various legal forms and procedures required to prosecute cases
- Experience or training in law enforcement or prosecution techniques
- Good computer skills and ability to learn data entry
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Valid Ontario Driver's Licence and use of a reliable vehicle
- Flexible work hours required, including evening and night shifts
- The ability to communicate in French or other languages would be considered an asset
Please apply no later than December 21, 2007, quoting position EHCDCASTEO-1107/01. We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Human Resources Dept., Middlesex-London Health Unit,
50 King Street, London ON N6A 5L7
Further information about the programs and services offered by the Middlesex-London Health Unit is available on this website.
Information concerning applicants is collected under the authority of the Health Protection & Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H-7, as amended, and will be used to consider suitability for employment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Mission of the Middlesex-London Health Unit, a teaching health unit, is to promote wellness, prevent disease and injury, and protect the public's health through the delivery of public health programs, services and research.