Back to top

Post-doctoral Fellowships, Partnering in Community Health Research, Centre for Population Health Promotion Research, UBC

Interested in  

  • Innovative Learning Strategies?
  • Academic-Community Partnerships?
  • Helping Solve Real-World Problems?
  • Transdisciplinary Health Research?
  • Building a Research Career in Canada?

PCHR is an innovative training program for graduate students, transdisciplinary post-doctoral fellows, and community practitioners that facilitates the building of competencies while participating in ongoing research projects. Learners and mentors from both academia and the community work in partnership to address real research priorities:

  • Vulnerable Populations/Community Health Services Research: health literacy and local community capacity building, and primary health care renewal, with a focus on chronic disease management
  • Workplace Health Research: developing and evaluating interventions to reduce injuries in healthcare organizations

Problem-based learning teams ("clusters") provide post-docs with an opportunity to put their education into practice and to build the core competencies that relate to community partnership health research. PCHR activities, such as workshops and seminars, are designed annually to help learners achieve the goals identified in their individualized learning plans. Visit our website--http://www.pchr.net--to learn more about our participants and research projects.

Fellowship Description

PCHR post-doctoral fellows divide 80% of their time between two clusters or one cluster and a cross-cluster working group (negotiated based on expertise and program needs). The remaining 20% is dedicated to professional advancement (e.g., independent projects, writing articles). The annual stipend is $40,000-$50,000, plus $5,000 research allowance and benefits.

Experience, Education and other Requirements

  • Any innovative mix of relevant preparation will be considered for these unique interdisciplinary training positions. A PhD in a health, behavioural, or social science discipline is normally expected.
  • Publications in a relevant field.
  • Knowledge or experience in one or more of the topic areas identified above.

Deadline:  March 1st, 2008

Applications and additional details available on our website: http://www.pchr.net.

For more information and to submit an application, please contact

Faye Pedersen, Program Manager,
Centre for Population Health Promotion Research, UBC
#426 - 2206 East Mall, LPC Building
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Tel: (604) 822 6515
Fax: (604) 822-9210
[email protected]