Temporary full-time (Monday - Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm)
Duration: approximately eight (8) months
The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural/urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this temporary full-time opportunity within our Communicable Diseases Division of the Peel Health Department.
The Healthy Sexuality Program requires a self-directed, enthusiastic individual to work within a collaborative team environment to deliver services in accordance with the Mandatory Programs and Services Guidelines for Sexual Health and Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
Key responsibilities include:
- Performing under medical directives, PHN duties in the Healthy Sexuality Clinic setting include: counselling/education, specimen collection, providing injections, taking blood and providing/dispensing medications.
- Case management of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS.
- Education, facilitation and health promotion with a variety of individuals and groups in the community.
Examples of job activities (corresponding to the responsibilities listed above) may include:
- Counselling clinic clients regarding birth control methods, pregnancy options and STI prevention, including appropriate referrals. Interventions practiced under the authority of medical directives may include performing venipuncture for the purpose of anonymous HIV testing, specimen collection for the purpose of testing for present STIs, provision and dispensing of birth control methods and Plan B emergency contraception and provision of Hepatitis A and B vaccine by injection.
- Consultation with family physicians and walk-in clinics to determine provision of appropriate treatment for reported positive sexually transmitted infections and subsequent contact with clients and their partners to ensure completion of testing and treatment regimes.
- Presentations to at-risk groups including young offenders and youth in open-custody facilities, post-secondary school students living in group residences and pregnant/parenting teens.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Expertise in dealing with all aspects of sexuality including contraception, sexually transmitted infections, HIV/AIDS, abortion counselling and sexual orientation
- Strong assessment, counselling, organizational and planning skills
- An understanding of health promotion and community development principles
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, in person and via the telephone
- Strong computer skills in MS Outlook and Word
- Knowledge and experience with group facilitation and presentations
- Knowledge of Peel's diverse community
- a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University
- a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- recent experience in public health (preferred).
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- an hourly rate range from $30.61 - $36.70 (under review)
- training and development
- a healthy workplace
- a family orientated environment and
- a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
To apply, please visit us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Click on current listings and Public Health Nurse, Healthy Sexuality Program (PHN#08-03). You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience and education. Applicants who responded to our current ongoing ad will be considered and there is no need to re-apply. The position is located at 44 Peel Centre Drive in Brampton and closes on February 20, 2008.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.