Contract Research Position, with possibility for renewal at year-end.
The Screening Action Group is one of 9 action groups under the Canadian Partnership Against Cancer Corporation. This is a federal arms-length agency with a five-year mandate to advance the Canadian Cancer Control Strategy. The goal of the Screening Action Group will be to optimize the benefits of cancer screening and minimize its limitations. Its strategic goals are to increase participation rates for all organized cancer screening programs through the development of performance measurement supports, informed decision-making tools and programming tools, engage in national and international collaboration and dialogue, and support improved health services integration. The 2008-09 fiscal year is a busy year, with key initiatives and projects underway, all focused on meeting a number of key Action Group goals. This position will support the efforts of both the Screening Program Director, and the Chair of the Screening Action Group, and will directly report to the Program Director.
Contract Period: April 1, 2008 to March 31, 2009.
1. Project managing a number of key Screening Action Group projects:
Education Tools, Modeling Project, Annual Conference planning, HPV Vaccine and Test, and other Projects
Duties will include:
- supporting project advisory team in setting up meetings,
- document retrieval,
- taking minutes,
- coordination and keeping abreast of key project milestones,
- problem-solving issues as they arise,
- keeping the Director of the Screening Action Group, Chair of Action Group and Vice President of Cancer Control, where required, informed of project progress,
- managing of budget and expense issues for projects,
- preparing request for proposals and contracts to secure consulting services, and
- liaise with key external project stakeholders
- Other duties as required.
2. Conduct general literature review searches in common data sources: databases, internet, libraries, etc. - search for both grey and peer-reviewed published documents (reports, books, articles, etc.) and support knowledge transfer and management needs for the SNAG
3. Support the development of the Screening Action Group's information portal
4. Provide research support:
- Develop research proposals
- Develop search methodologies
- Develop data collection methodologies
- Undertake data collection - surveying, interviewing, collection of secondary data sources
- Data analysis using statistical software
- Analysis of literature - health journal articles, reports, documents, etc.
- Report writing
5. Develop and maintain, as a component of the Action Group's portal, a database of key literature for cancer screening:
- create the database
- retrieve the documents
- keep abreast of current literature in key cancer screening fields
6. Provide other support to the Director and Chair of the Action Group as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- 5 - 7 years experience working as a researcher and project coordinator
- Master's degree or PhD in any of the following areas: epidemiology, health sciences, biostatistics, evaluation, and other related topics
- Strong knowledge of healthcare sector, preferably in health promotion and/or cancer control and/or cancer screening
- Familiarity with national and provincial datasets and data sources (CIHR, CCHS, etc.)
- Superior computer skills; MS Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PPT, MS Project), Visio, Internet, Email
- Proficient statistical and analytical skills (SPSS, SAS, other)
- Excellent researching skills: proposal development, data collection methodology, data analysis, etc.
- Strong communication skills: verbal and writing (have published)
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills
- Inter-personal skills
- Independent worker, able to demonstrate initiative and requires minimal supervision and instruction
- Quick learner
- Able to work in a face-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Able to demonstrate tact and discretion, where required
- Capable of working with senior health executives and working at the national level.
Salary $67,000-$75,000 for 1-year contract, commensurate with experience
Application Please submit your c.v. and a cover letter c/o Program Director, Screening Action Group email: email@example.com no later than March 15, 2008 5:00 p.m. No inquiries. Only those qualified applicants will be contacted. Thank you.