Senior Policy Analyst - Policy & Program Development - Job ID 5203
CUPE 5167 (1 Temporary Full Time Position)
Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Program Manager, Homelessness, the Senior Policy Analyst leads, co-ordinates, and manages a broad range of policy related activities and strategies with a significant corporate or community strategic impact, including monitoring and liaison functions, policy interpretation and analysis, and social policy development. As the lead staff support, the Senior Policy Analyst also co-ordinates, facilitates and manages the development of departmental pilot projects with a major policy or program development focus.
Develops and formulates recommendations on new or revised policies and programs addressing homelessness and the Homeless Individuals and Families Information System (HIFIS) in order to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of operational and community needs, based on research, internal/external benchmarks, demographic statistics and social trends.
Leads major policy studies and policy development assignments relevant to the department, including developing project objectives, terms of reference, needs/impact assessments and consultation with relevant stake holders in order to ensure the clarity, consistency, and accessibility of the policy being investigated.
Manages internal and cross-departmental projects with a policy or program development focus in a variety of staff resource configurations and is accountable for ensuring that assigned projects are delivered with due consideration to the identification and control of project scope, schedule, and the management of associated risks.
Investigates and integrates findings on social, economic and political environments in order to evaluate, assess, and interpret the impact of changes in policy, legislation, and program initiatives made by other levels of government and community-based organizations.
Analyzes, reviews and interprets policy reports, policy directives, and position papers from other departments, municipalities, community agencies, consultants, ministries and national and international organizations.
1. Master of Arts degree in social planning or social sciences or equivalent experience with progressive experience in social planning, policy analysis and program evaluation in the social services area.
2. Possess strong written and oral communication skills combined with highly developed analytical, conceptual, technical, and interpersonal skills, personal integrity and professional commitment.
3. Must be able to work in an independent and confidential manner, making sound judgements based on results of research and/or consultation and the balancing of competing interests.
4. Demonstrated ability to lead and effectively manage projects in a results oriented environment with ability to plan, assign, and co-ordinate the work of multi-disciplinary project teams, including excellent facilitation and organizational skills.
5. Demonstrated understanding of municipal government operations and its relationships with community partners, other municipalities, Provincial and Federal governments.
6. Ability to deal effectively with elected officials, representatives of other levels of government, management, peers, staff and the general public.
7. Ability to work under pressure to meet tight externally and internally driven deadlines.
8. Must posses a valid Class "G" Driver's licence and provision of a vehicle for use on the job.
Salary: $35.951 - $37.585 - $39.219 - $40.583 per hour
This vacancy is due to a project with a term of approximately 12 months.
Please apply on or before April 9, 2008.
To view the full posting and apply, please visit http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/CityandGovernment/CityServices/Careers/.