If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this career opportunity within our Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Division.
Public Health Nurse, Cancer Prevention and Heart Health (PHN#08-12)
The Cancer Prevention and Heart team requires a creative public health nurse with experience or interest in health promotion. The incumbent will develop and provide health promotion services, including presentations and displays, to Peel residents and community agencies. The successful candidate will work within a multidisciplinary team that includes Health Promotion Officers and Public Health Nutritionists to encourage adoption of healthy behaviours related to chronic disease risk factors.
As a key member of our team, you:
- Develop and provide community health promotion services including presentations and displays
- Develop or review communications for the team's audiences including writing for the web, writing health promotion brochures or pamphlets, or developing educational materials
- Work with team members or community groups to plan and implement community health education events
- Develop and organize special training events on health topics targeted to health professionals
- Contribute cancer prevention or community health promotion expertise to colleagues, Divisional committees and working groups
- Represent the team on community advisory groups or committees (e.g. Cancer Care Ontario working groups)
- Work with team members to plan and implement community research and evaluation projects
Interested candidates should possess:
- Knowledge of health promotion and prevention strategies
- Knowledge of population health approaches
- Knowledge of adult education principles, and healthy lifestyle issues including healthy eating, physical activity and managing stress
- Demonstrated presentation and facilitation skills in providing presentations to adult audiences and health professionals
- Effective communication skills both oral and written
- Strong computer skills in Ms Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of Peel's population and diverse community
- Strong assessment, problem solving and program planning skills
- a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University
- a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- recent experience in public health (preferred) and
- a willingness to travel to various regional locations.
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- a salary range from $55,705 - $66,796 (under review)
- a comprehensive benefits package
- tuition assistance
- training and development
- advancement opportunities
- a pension plan (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System-OMERS)
- a healthy workplace
- a family orientated environment and
- a voice in the development of corporate initiatives and much more!
Who we are
The Region of Peel, the area just west of Toronto that includes Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic rural/urban blend of cultures, industries and communities. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over one million residents and a thriving business community.
To apply, please visit us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Select current listings and Public Health Nurse-Cancer Prevention and Heart Health (PHN#08-12) and you will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience and education. The competition closes on April 17, 2008.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.