Closing Date: Wednesday June 11, 2008 at 10:00 am
Contract Dates: June 23 until August 15, 2008 (8 weeks at 35 hours/week)
Salary: This is a full time contract at $12.00 per hour.
Health Nexus (formerly The Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse - OPC) is a 21-year-old bilingual non-profit information and resource service for prevention and health promotion practitioners. Health Nexus has four programs: general health promotion, maternal and child health, a collaboration of 22 health promotion organizations and a provincial stroke prevention initiative. Health Nexus uses electronic and print collections to serve their clients (visit http://www.healthnexus.ca).
The student will gain a variety of experience in information and computer systems, such as database management software and MS Excel. Develop skills in data entry and data processing, leading to data reporting. Develop skills in written and oral communications. Gain some experience in facility coordination. Gain familiarity with the not-for-profit sector. Gain research, organizational and administrative skills.
You must be a student who
a. was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
b. intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year:
c. is attending a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
d. is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the time of intake/selection;
e. is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Act:
f. is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
g. is not working 30 hours or more per week at another job.
- Enter data, such as client information, service statistics and resource tracking
- Reconcile errors and identify duplicate records
- Verify contact information of community groups and network partners (by phone, by internet)
- Provide records management technical support in analysis, reorganization and re-naming of records, files and folders in the electronic network
- Index and catalogue resources
- Update asset tracking database, and file management database
- Assist in office management, document storage and reconfiguration of office furniture layout
- Undertake other duties as required
- Minimum High School diploma. University or college programs in information sciences, library technician, health informatics, or other health field with information experience preferred
- Experience with data entry and databases is an asset
- Demonstrated reliability, ability to work semi-independently
- Ability to take initiative, plan, prioritize and organize work
- Oral and written fluency in French is an asset
- Ability to pay attention to detail
Deadline & Contact Information
Interested candidates should send in a resume and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications, eligibility and experience, to the attention of Human Resources by 10:00 am Wednesday, June 11, 2008.
By email: email@example.com (Please note Subject as Student-Data Processor/Office Helper)
By fax: 416-408-2122.
By post: 180 Dundas St. W., Suite 1900, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1Z8
Prefer applications sent by email. No telephone calls, please.
We thank all applicants but only those under consideration will be contacted. For more information about Health Nexus, visit http://www.healthnexus.ca. Health Nexus is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Students facing barriers to the labour market, such as those with disabilities, visible minorities and Aboriginal students are encouraged to apply.
This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs 2008.