Closing Date: Wednesday June 11, 2008 at 10:00 am
Contract Dates: June 23 until August 15, 2008 (8 weeks at 35 hours/week)
Salary: This is a full time contract at $12.00 per hour.
Health Nexus (formerly The Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse - OPC) is a 21-year-old bilingual non-profit information and resource service for prevention and health promotion practitioners. Health Nexus has four programs: general health promotion, maternal and child health, a collaboration of 22 health promotion organizations and a provincial stroke prevention initiative. Health Nexus uses electronic and print collections to serve their clients (visit http://www.healthnexus.ca).
The student will gain familiarity with Health Promotion sector. Build networks within the Health Industry through contact with variety of organizations and programs. Gain research, writing and editing skills. Gain experience establishing relationships with wide variety of professionals (Administrative, Technology, Information Specialists, Health Promotion Consultants, Managers, etc.). Develop communication skills through contact with wide variety of organizations: Non Government Organizations and various Ministries of the government of Ontario.
You must be a student who
a. was registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
b. intends to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year:
c. is attending a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
d. is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the time of intake/selection;
e. is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Act:
f. is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations; and
g. is not working 30 hours or more per week at another job.
- Updating French information on web based database
- Updating Electronic Bulletin subscriber information in both French and English
- Revising/updating published list of Health Promotion information available in French on the internet
- Searching for appropriate websites, articles, events, jobs to post on Electronic Bulletin in French and English
- Write/research articles about Health Promotion for Electronic Bulletin in French and English
- Create and implement a work plan to promote the distribution of the French Electronic Bulletin
- Undertake other duties as required
- Position requires French-English oral and written fluency.
- Minimum High School diploma. University or college programs in information sciences, library technician, health informatics, or other health field with information experience preferred
- Experience with organizing digital resources and/or print materials, and with databases, is an asset
- Ability to take initiative, plan, prioritize and organize work
- Ability to pay attention to detail
Deadline & Contact Information
Interested candidates should send in a resume and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications, eligibility and experience, to the attention of Human Resources by 10:00 am Wednesday, June 11, 2008.
By email: email@example.com (please note Subject as Student-Bilingual Program Support)
By fax: 416-408-2122
By post: 180 Dundas St. W., Suite 1900, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1Z8
Prefer applications sent by email. No telephone calls, please.
We thank all applicants but only those under consideration will be contacted. For more information about Health Nexus, visit http://www.healthnexus.ca. Health Nexus is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Students facing barriers to the labour market, such as those with disabilities, visible minorities and Aboriginal students are encouraged to apply.
This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs 2008.