We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents and a thriving business community and a leader among Ontario municipalities in efficient, effective service delivery - the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
Are you a self-starter and forward-thinking health professional who thrives on new challenges and appreciates working in a progressive environment where innovation, teamwork, effective communication, respect and integrity help guide quality client service? If so, consider this challenging contract full-time opportunity in Peel Health's Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Division.
Health Promotion Officer (Public Health) (Regular Full-time)
As an active member of the Cancer Prevention and Heart Health Team, you will coordinate all aspects of the Heart Health Network, "Healthy Living Peel", a network of community organizations working to prevent chronic disease and promote healthy living in Peel. You will coordinate the Network governance and operations, organize community events, and increase the capacity of community partners, through support, training and development, to meet Heart Health Program objectives. This will involve program development; partner activity tracking, monitoring and evaluation; resource development and distribution; and knowledge translation and exchange. You will prepare and submit all required Ministry reports. You will ensure that community programs respond to community need and are based on sound research. You will apply health promotion principles and strategies to policy development and program implementation in collaboration with appropriate Health Department staff and community partners. In addition, you will represent the Network at all Provincial Heart Health meetings.
If you possess:
- A university degree in Health Promotion or related health field combined with 1-3 years related experience
- Knowledge of the Public Health Mandatory Program and Services Guidelines, specifically in the area of chronic disease prevention, and of the Ministry of Health Promotion Heart Health Program
- Familiarity with key theoretical models and experience in applying health education and health promotion
- Strong knowledge and experience in community capacity building
- Knowledge of community agencies and groups working on chronic disease and prevention and health promotion in Peel
- Strong analytical skills to interpret, apply, and communicate research knowledge to Network members and partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Skill in program development, planning, implementation and evaluation. Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, and Microsoft Outlook
- Experience in web based community networking would be an asset
- Access to own transportation and willingness to work some evenings and weekends, we would like to hear from you.
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- Salary range from $55,142-$68,928
- A comprehensive benefit package
- A high tech environment
- Mentoring and coaching
- Training and development
- A family oriented environment
- a healthy workplace
- direct links to management and
- a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
To be considered for this attractive assignment, please apply online by visiting us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Go to Current Job Listings and select HEALTH PROMOTION OFFICER (Public Health) job #08-346. You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related education and experience. The posting closes on June 10, 2008.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.