Position: Executive Director
[murmur] is looking for an inspirational leader. We're seeking someone passionate about community, cities, and storytelling to guide and grow [murmur]'s collaborations and projects.
The director will be responsible for managing and producing [murmur], and leading its expansion through writing grant applications, securing commissions, and cultivating relationships with potential funders. Responsibilities are as follows:
On the "producing" side, this means taking care of stuff like:
- Recording & editing stories
- Installing signs
- Giving workshops
- Managing volunteers and interns
- Responding to lots of email inquiries
- Coordinating with suppliers
- Writing & sending out occasional newsletters
- Attending conferences and festivals; sometimes presenting
- Organizing events
- Writing grant applications and project proposals
- Managing budgets and books
On the "cultivating relationships" side, this means (among other things):
- Establish new contacts and projects in Toronto, nationally and internationally;
- Develop strategies to raise funds to expand the project;
- Seek out potential sponsors and donors, and tapping into networks;
- Conduct ongoing research for new fiscal strategies and opportunities.
Please get in touch if you:
- Know the project, like it, and (personally) are excited to help in its expansion;
- Have experience being in charge of stuff;
- Are personable and a great writer;
- Are motivated and self-directed, a decision-maker and problem-solver;
- Want a flexible schedule (meaning generally you can decide your own hours, but sometimes there's stuff that needs doing on weekends);
- Are organized and good with deadlines;
- Are very comfortable with the web, and technology in general;
- Are in Toronto but available for occasional travel;
- Are okay with the idea that your salary is dependent on your fundraising abilities.
The ideal candidate probably also reads a bunch of blogs, lives downtown, rides a bike and/or TTC, and has a cellphone.
Our director will be working from the Centre for Social Innovation, on Spadina Avenue near Queen Street.
This is a part-time contract position for now, probably 3-4 days/week and $18-20/hour to start depending on your experience, increasing with your fundraising success.
How to Apply:
Please email a CV and references to gabe at murmurtoronto.ca
We are looking for someone who can start as soon as possible, June 30th at the latest. Please contact us by June 16th.