Reporting to the Director of Health Promotion, the incumbent will be responsible for the management of a small department, which is accountable for the agency-wide implementation of the Program Planning and Evaluation requirements and standards outlined in the Mandatory Health Programs and Services Guidelines (Draft 2008) as well as the co-ordination and development of internal and external agency communication strategies.
The successful candidate will have a clear vision for the essential role of public health in the community, strong human resource management skills, as well as excellent communication and organizational skills. He/she will have experience in public relations, health communication, media advocacy, program evaluation, information technologies, applied research and a strong familiarity with health status information.
Within the context of a continuous quality improvement framework, this position includes strategic and operational management of a department that is responsible for:
- Implementation of quality assurance strategies around corporate program evaluation and communication
- Facilitation of agency-wide evidence-informed public health practice through research and knowledge exchange (research may include primary collection of new data or the analysis and synthesis of existing data and research findings)
- Support for ongoing needs assessment, process evaluation and outcome evaluation for health unit programs
- Support for local health status surveillance and reporting in collaboration with the epidemiologist
- Provision of continuing education to public health practitioners related to communication resource development and population based communication processes
- Maintenance of and continuous quality improvement of corporate website
- Provision of support for the development of internal health communication resources and advertising projects
- Coordination of all agency media relations
- Development of communication resources for Comprehensive School Health and Family Health Departments
- Development of strategies to enhance corporate image of agency in community
- Production of agency newsletter and annual report
- Development of proposals for external funding and assessment of requests for community proposal endorsements
- Liaison with Regional Research, Education, Evaluation and Development Services (REED)
The position requires a masters' degree in applied health science or health promotion or communication studies, or health/social sciences with an emphasis on health promotion, epidemiology, health marketing and communication. A PhD in a related field would be an asset. Experience in a management position is desirable.
Qualified individuals are invited to forward a résumé and cover letter by Friday, July 4, 2008, to
HRO, Windsor-Essex County Health Unit
1005 Ouellette Avenue
Windsor, ON N9A 4J8
Fax: (519) 258-6003
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.