One-Year Contract Part-Time (0.6 FTE)
The South Riverdale Community Health Centre (SRCHC) is a non-profit, multiservice centre that provides primary health care, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion to residents of Riverdale and South East Toronto. The Centre is looking for a Harm Reduction Mental Health Peer Training Coordinator (PTC) for a one-year contract position supported by a grant from the Ontario HIV/AIDS Treatment Network. This is a collaborative project between SRCHC, the University of Toronto, CAMH and The Canadian Harm Reduction Network.
Reporting to the Urban Health Manager, PTC will work with a research team and the COUNTERfit Harm Reduction Program of SRCHC to pilot a Mental Health Support and Outreach Program for Harm Reduction Peer Health Promotion Workers (HPWs).
- Provide intensive training and support to 10 HPWs
- Support HPWs in outreach to illicit drug users with serious mental health problems in order to assist them in seeking necessary services
- Work with HPWs to document the process and experience of the project
- Work with the project research team to evaluate and modify the project
- Work with the project team to ramp up a program based on evaluation and findings.
- A degree from a recognized university in health or social sciences
- Minimum 5 years experience in and excellent knowledge of Mental Health and Harm Reduction
- Minimum 5 years experience in Delivering Harm Reduction Based Peer Training Programs.
- Expertise in crisis intervention and short-term counselling with illicit drug users
- Counselling / Active Listening expertise is essential
- Experience with community based evaluation and research
- Ability to work flexible hours
The deadline for applicants is Friday, July 4, 2008.
Please send your resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee
Harm Reduction Mental Health Peer
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
We would like to thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please
South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a community controlled organization that believes that health is a state of physical, mental and social well-being, and that the role of the Health Centre is to provide good quality primary care, and to engage in those clinical, social, economic, political, cultural, and education initiatives that promote health.
[Source: Canadian Harm Reduction Network's mailing list, http://www.canadianharmreduction.com/join.php]