Ophea (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association) is a dynamic not-for-profit organization with a staff of approximately 30 individuals. Ophea exists to support Ontario's school communities through advocacy, quality programs and services, and partnership building in order to enable children and youth to lead active, healthy lives. Services are provided to a variety of individuals including elementary and secondary school teachers, public health professionals, and recreation leaders. Ophea also works closely with provincial government ministries, corporations, and other not-for-profit organizations.
Ophea has played a key role in supporting the development and implementation of the Daily Physical Activity (DPA) mandate in Ontario. Ophea firmly believes that the long-term sustainability of the Daily Physical Activity mandate in Ontario's elementary school communities is dependent upon ongoing provincial coordination, effective monitoring and continued support. The Ontario Physical Education Safety Guidelines (Safety Guidelines) represent the minimum standards for risk management practice for school boards. Released in May 2008, the recently updated guidelines provide educators with safe practice in curricular programs, intramural activities and clubs and interschool activities.
We are looking to establish a flexible consulting agreement with a French Health & Physical Education Curriculum Consultant to support development, delivery and ongoing consultation support for DPA and Safety in Ontario's French school communities.
The contract will run from July 2008 until June 2009 with a possibility of renewal.
Knowledge (formal education or general knowledge) required:
- Bachelor of Education Degree
- Specialist qualification in Physical Education
- Experience working with the elementary and secondary schools
- Current knowledge in the areas of health and physical education curriculum, physical activity research, and health promotion. Direct experience with DPA implementation preferred.
- Extensive experience working with Ontario's French school boards and school administrators with a provincial perspective of H&PE
- Knowledge and experience with French School Board H&PE Safety policies
Skills & Experience required:
- Bilingual (French and English) verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent facilitation, presentation skills
- a self starter and superior ability to work independently
- able to work as part of a team and share ideas and initiatives
- leadership skills and able to identify challenges and problem solve
Duties and Responsibilities:
- providing strategic support, including participation in planning meetings as required
- working with other Ophea Project staff and other DPA Consultants to determine provincial needs and share experiences
- identify key contacts in Ontario French School boards, contribute to network development through support and communication
- developing an implementation strategy that meets the needs of assigned school boards
- facilitate implementation of Ontario Safety Guidelines
- providing consultative support and workshop delivery to schools and school boards
The selected Consultant will work closely with the Ophea Projects department. Interested applicants will have a valid driver's license and be willing to travel to communities throughout Ontario and to attend meetings in Toronto as required.
To apply, please forward your resume no later than July 14, 2008 to:
Ophea (Ontario Physical and Health Education Association)
1185 Eglinton Avenue East, Suite 501
North York, ON M3C 3C6
Fax: (416) 426-7373
Please note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted