Posted Date: July 23, 2008
Closing Date: August 22, 2008
Hours of Work: Currently, 8:30 - 4:30, Monday to Friday (subject to change). Because of the nature of position, the candidate must be flexible to work additional hours as required.
Based at Mount Sinai Hospital, the Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care (TLCPC) is one of Canada's largest centres for palliative care. Our patient care, education and research activities all strive to ensure quality end-of-life care for people living with a terminal illness, allowing them to die with dignity and in comfort. We have an exciting employment opportunity in our small but rapidly growing academic research department. Our research program includes work in health services research, clinical research in symptom management and psychosocial issues, and continuous quality improvement.
The role will support the Research Leader in the development of the infrastructure and program of research that will lead to establishing an internationally recognized research centre in palliative care. The overall functions of this position are to:
- Provide administrative support to the Research Leader
- Manage the operational aspects of the research program at TLCPC
- Assist in establishing the infrastructure required for the growth of the research program.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Provide administrative support to the Research Leader and other TLCPC members involved in research projects
- Coordinate research meetings for Centre-specific and collaborative/multi-site research initiatives
- Manage the research budget and oversee research accounting
- Coordinate the execution of 2 or more simultaneously running research projects
- Participate in data collection and analysis as required, establish and monitor data completion/accuracy procedures and take leadership in database management
- Coordinate the dissemination of results to relevant allied health professionals and assist in coordinating an overall knowledge transfer strategy
- Assist in the preparation of posters and manuscripts
- Assist in the planning of future projects by conducting literature searches and assisting in the development and writing of grant proposals
- Manage the timelines and take lead in administrative aspects of submitting grant proposals
- Submit ethics review applications
- Assist in the development and implementation of the research components of a new Centre-wide database
- Orient, support and co-mentor research students during their placements.
- Support ongoing communication required for off-site research collaborations
- A Bachelors or a Masters degree in a health sciences or other relevant area
- A basic understanding of research processes with a willingness and ability to learn these skills with appropriate guidance
- Experience in grant preparation and research project management is an asset but not required.
- A positive attitude towards supervision of students and an interest in developing strong mentoring skills
- Commitment to work cooperatively in a community-based setting as part of an interdisciplinary team of clinical and administrative staff, and volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal skills that allow a high degree of ability to function independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency with computer programs such as Microsoft Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Word
- Knowledge of a statistical program like SAS, SPSS or Stata is an asset.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume directly to:
Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care
Joseph and Wolfe Lebovic Centre
60 Murray Street, 4th Floor, Box #13
Toronto, ON M5T 3L9
We thank you for your interest in this position; however, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
No phone calls please.