Reports to: Director, Communications and Public Education
Responsible for the planning, development, production, delivery and marketing of communications aimed at the public—parents, caregivers, media, and others concerned with child and youth health. Areas of responsibility include media relations, public education and the Caring for Kids (Soins de nos enfants) website. Responsible for ensuring that the CPS enhances its profile as the leading source of child and youth health information, by developing and implementing strategies to reach key target audiences. Primary writer of print and online materials aimed at parents and caregivers. Develops proactive media relations strategies. Supervises frontline media and public relations staff, and performs these functions in their absence or when the workload warrants.
- Draft annual media relations plan to meet objectives in CPS communications plan and strategic plan.
- Develop media relations plans for specific activities (eg., release of biennial status report, new recommendations, conferences).
- Coordinate media activities for the CPS Annual Conference.
- Coordinate (or work with partners on) media activities for collaborative events involving the CPS.
- Research and write or edit news releases and/or highlights as needed (approx. 6/year). Coordinate approval.
- Organize media training sessions for volunteer spokespeople as required.
- Supervise Communications Coordinator, providing advice on day-to-day media relations and public inquiries.
- Write speaking notes for CPS volunteers involved in media activities.
- Handle media requests in absence of the Communications Coordinator
Public Education: Print
- Draft public education documents for expert review by CPS committees.
- Write or rewrite/edit public education documents accompanying CPS statements produced by committees. Ensure review and approval of these documents, and review page proofs before publication.
- Develop and implement strategies to promote CPS public education resources to CPS members and other child health professionals.
- Develop marketing strategies for CPS public education products.
- Develop and monitor schedules for public education projects.
- Develop and monitor budgets and other financial reports (e.g., cash flow reports) for public education projects.
- Monitor and verify invoices from suppliers (designers, printers, etc).
- Work with translator, designer(s), printer(s) and other contractors to coordinate print production process on public education documents (brochures, etc).
- Coordinate expert review of Baby Stages magazine, annually. Review page proofs and liaise with publisher.
- Participate in meetings and teleconferences of Public Education Subcommittee.
- Identify new topics for public education documents.
- Write funding proposals for new public education materials.
- Ensure recognition of and stewardship of volunteer reviewers.
- With the Director of Communications, develop strategies for expanding the CPS public education program.
Public Education: Caring for Kids
- Develop and implement communications and promotions plan for Caring for Kids to expand user base and increase referrals to the site from health professionals and other key opinion leaders.
- Develop means for gathering ongoing feedback from CfK users.
- Ensure Caring for Kids is up-to-date and dynamic by providing regular updates to the homepage, identifying content gaps, identifying opportunities for new features.
- Identify reporting needs, and work with website administrator to gather appropriate data.
- Monitor traffic on the site, making adjustments to content or navigation to improve usage.
- Ensure external links are current and appropriate. Add/remove links as needed.
- Identify new technologies or processes that could be used to enhance the site.
- Coordinate annual review and update of Caring for Kids documents not associated with CPS statements. Update CfK documents following annual review by committees.
- Ensure regular presence of Caring for Kids documents and updates in CPS member publications—CPS News, CPS e-news, etc.
Other writing and editing
- Assist Director of Communications with writing briefing notes, speaking remarks and other documents used in government relations or advocacy.
- Assist with development and production of biennial CPS status report.
- Contributes to the CPS News and other organizational publications as required.
- Post-secondary education in public relations, journalism, communications or a related field.
- At least 5 years' experience in a voluntary sector organization, preferably in the area of health or children's issues.
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong English-language writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Working knowledge of French.
- Understanding of and experience using plain language techniques.
- Knowledge of the print production process, from idea stage to delivery of product.
- Ability to create schedules, set and maintain deadlines on multiple projects.
- Experience working with suppliers and contractors in the print production process (translators, designers, printers, etc).
Further information regarding the organization and this position may be found on the CPS website at http://www.cps.ca.
Please send your cover letter and resume by fax or email to:
Director, Communications and Public Education
Canadian Paediatric Society
Fax: (613) 526-3332
Closing Date: September 5, 2008