The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural/urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this temporary full-time opportunity within our Communicable Diseases Division of the Peel Health Department.
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE - IMMUNIZATION SERVICES (PHN#08-16)
Temporary full-time (Monday - Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm)
Duration: approximately twelve (12) months
The Communicable Disease Control section requires a self-directed, enthusiastic individual to work within the immunization team environment to deliver services in accordance with Vaccine Preventable Disease Standards.
Key responsibilities include:
1. Providing case consultation and case management services.
2. Developing and delivering educational sessions to support the vaccine preventable diseases program.
3. Providing information, education and referral related to communicable diseases, immunizations and sexually transmitted infections at the Communicable Disease Divisional Call Centre.
4. Providing clinical nursing skills including immunizations as required.
5. Investigating and reporting adverse events following immunization.
Examples of job activities (corresponding to the responsibilities listed above) may include:
1. Liaising with clients, internal and external stakeholders to facilitate the enforcement of the Immunization School Pupils Act, 1990.
2. Delivering immunization services to clients at our Routine Immunization Clinic as required.
3. Developing promotional and other written materials related to the immunization program
4. Providing educational sessions/presentations to colleagues, parents, health care professionals or the general public.
5. Providing coverage of the Communicable Disease Divisional Call Centre as required.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Knowledge of the College of Nurses' Practice Standards and best practices
- Knowledge of current recommended immunization schedules for Ontario
- Knowledge of vaccine safety and handling and infection control practices
- Knowledge of legislation regulating Immunization for children and adolescents, personal health information, child protection, workplace health and safety
- Strong assessment, leadership, organizational and planning skills
- Experience administering immunizing agents
- An understanding of health promotion and community development principles
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, in person and via the telephone
- Strong computer skills in MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access
- Knowledge of working with Peel's diverse community
- Knowledge and understanding of local healthcare system
Success requires: • a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University • a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario • recent experience in public health (preferred).
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
• an hourly rate range from $32.47 - $38.94
• training and development
• an employee assistance program (EAP)
• Workplace Safety and Insurance Board coverage (WSIB)
• a healthy workplace
• a family orientated environment and
• a workplace where your feedback is important to us.
To apply, please visit us at www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Click on Current Listings and Public Health Nurse, Immunization Services (PHN#08-16). You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience and education.
The intended closing date is September 23, 2008; however, depending on the response, the Region of Peel reserves the right to remove the posting prior to the closing date or extend it without prior notice.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.