The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural/urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are considering casual employment (approximately 2- 3 days per month) with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this back-up position at Peel Health within the Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Division.
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE, CHRONIC DISEASE & INJURY PREVENTION - CALL CENTRE
As a key member of the Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Call Centre team, working in a multidisciplinary team setting, you provide backup for the regular call centre team members. Responsibilities will include providing supportive counselling, referrals and educating callers on health issues related to the prevention of chronic disease and injury prevention such as the promotion of healthy eating and physical activity, smoking cessation, managing stress, mental health concerns, early cancer detection through screening, car seat safety, playground and bicycle safety, alcohol and drug use and addictions.
You will be assisting our callers in arranging for presentations, displays and consultations with the health professionals from the Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Division and ordering resources on the caller's behalf. Our Call Centre provides services to schools (staff, students and parents), workplaces, physicians, community groups and individual community members. You will also have a role to play in maintaining the Knowledge Management tools (binders, lists, contacts etc.) within the Call Centre.
In addition to a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing, a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario, if you possess:
- experience with telephone assessment and counselling
- experience in public health
- knowledge of community resources in Peel
- knowledge of healthy lifestyle issues such as healthy eating, physical activity, smoking cessation, drugs and alcohol, child and adult safety issues
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written
- strong assessment and counselling skills
- strong organizational and planning skills
- strong computer skills to use specific data bases, and web site research
- an understanding of Peel's diverse community including clients and community agencies,
we would like to hear from you.
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- an attractive hourly rate range from $32.47 - $38.94 + vacation pay
- direct links to management
- up-to-date technology
- a healthy workplace
- an employee assistance program (EAP)
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board coverage (WSIB) and
- a work environment where your feedback is important to us.
The office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the position is located at 9445 Airport Road in Brampton.
To pursue this ongoing casual opportunity, apply online at www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Please select Current Listings and Public Health Nurse, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention-Call Centre (Casual) PHN#08-22. The position closes on September 18, 2008.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.