If you are a forward-thinking nurse seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this temporary part-time opportunity within our Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Division in the Peel Health Services Department.
Public Health Nurse, Healthy Eating & Physical Activity (Phn#08-23)
Hours of work: 42 hours bi-weekly (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)
Duration: approximately twelve (12) months
Healthy Eating and Physical Activity team requires a creative and self-directed professional who will collaborate within a multidisciplinary team environment to plan, implement and deliver best practice health promotion programs and services related to healthy eating, physical activity, healthy body image and healthy weights for children and youth. The individual will partner with key stakeholders, schools and community partners using comprehensive health promotion principles and strategies in order to effectively meet relevant Mandatory Programs and Services Guidelines.
Key responsibilities include:
- Promoting and delivering programs and services for the areas of healthy eating, physical activity and body image for children and youth. Includes consultations with internal and external stakeholders, group facilitations, presentations and displays.
- Supporting and implementing team initiatives within the school and community setting i.e. Eat Smart! Program, call centre back-up, website content development and promotion.
- Partnership building with other health professionals, schools, community and agencies
- in the development and implementation of best practice initiatives to address identified needs.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill in the areas of health promotion, community development and project management.
- Demonstrated skill in delivering programs and resources for children and youth within schools and communities by working collaboratively with key partners.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal with the ability to communicate complex health messages and information to relevant target audiences.
- Experience working with parents, teachers and other community stakeholders is an asset.
- Strong organizational, assessment, planning, problem solving, facilitation, presentation and evaluation skills.
- Strong computer skills in MS Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Peel's diverse community.
- a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalency as recognized by a Canadian University
- a current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- recent experience in public health (preferred) and
- a willingness to travel to various regional locations.
Peel also offers:
- an hourly rate range $32.47 - $38.94
- a high tech environment
- a healthy workplace
- a family orientated environment and
- an environment a workplace where your feedback is important to us where your voice in the development of corporate initiatives and much more!
Who we are - The Region of Peel, the area just west of Toronto that includes Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic rural/urban blend of cultures, industries and communities. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over one million residents and a thriving business community.
The position is located in Brampton and it closes on October 5, 2008.
To apply, please visit us at http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Click on Current Listings and select Public Health Nurse, Healthy Eating & Physical Activity (PHN#08-23). You will be invited to complete a questionnaire on your related experience and education.
At the Region of Peel, we respect diversity and treat one another in ways that are fair, courteous and compassionate, recognizing everyone's contributions. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Foreign earned credentials may need to be assessed in order to determine Canadian equivalency. Please visit the Canadian Foreign Credentials Referral Office's website for further details. Service Canada also provides information regarding referral services toll-free.