Deadline January 10, 2010
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Research & Policy Analyst within the Integrated Services and Development Division. Reporting to the Manager of Integrated Systems & Development, the Research & Policy Analyst acts as the departmental consultant in researching and providing strategic direction to staff in the development of Community Services policies and programs related to arts, culture, recreation, neighbourhood and community programs with a focus on quality customer service, continuous improvement processes and service integration. Extensive policy development and project management skills are needed to lead the development, implementation, evaluation of policies and programs, assess policy/program implications, effectiveness and impact; engage in stakeholder consultations; prepare a range of documents. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Lead the research, development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of Community Services’ policies and programs, procedures, work methods to achieve the department’s goals under the City’s Strategic Plan.
- Assess new provincial and federal legislation, policies and programs to determine their impact on existing programs and policies. Make recommendations to the Community Services’ Management Team on required corrective actions.
- Provide ongoing analysis of technical trends, developments, advances and best practices in the delivery of integrated services
- Lead project teams to implement new initiatives including contracting consultants, developing the scope of work, and providing oversight to achieving the deliverables
- Provide project management support to operational reviews, studies and master plans
- Facilitate public consultation and liaison in a positive and inclusive manner, using a wide range of tools and methods, often on politically sensitive issues
- Manage and develop responses to policy/program issues ensuring effective briefing, strategic advice, options and recommendations to the Director and Management
- Prepare and present reports and presentations on policies, plans and reviews to the Management Team and community representatives and partners and as required, to the Senior Management Team and Council
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a university degree business administration, public administration or related discipline and considerable experience in leading business process reviews in a private or public sector organization. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience and proven success in various facilitation models, negotiations, public meetings and presentations.
- Experience in research, planning and policy development.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Act and policy development and decision making processes in a municipal context
- Excellent analytical, conceptual, synthesis and organizational skills.
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to oversee organizational change reviews
- Ability to consolidate, interpret and analyze information and statistical data to formulate recommendations
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate and consider large scale issues and develop credible long-term and short-term strategies and plans
- Ability to work with and support Community Services’ management, staff, agencies and the community to achieve superior results and promote the service first philosophy of the City.
- Advanced computer skills Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Project)
- A Master’s degree would be an asset.
Salary: $55,795.04 - $69,743.80 per year
Interested candidates are invited to apply via our online application system by January 10, 2010. Please note you will be required to complete a short questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. Only completed online applications will be accepted. To apply, please visit our web site at www.guelph.ca and go to our employment/careers link to view current opportunities. In the posting click on the "apply for this job" icon. Instructions will follow.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.