Deadline February 15, 2010
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto, ON
Position Status: OPEN
Posting Date: Monday, January 25, 2010
Closing Date: Monday, February 15, 2010
The Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (OAHPP) is an arm’s-length government agency dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, OAHPP links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
OAHPP provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about OAHPP, visit www.oahpp.ca.
The Knowledge Exchange Specialist contributes to the development and execution of OAHPPs knowledge-exchange strategy within the broader local, provincial, national, and international scientific communities. Acting as a knowledge broker between external groups and OAHPP scientific staff, the Specialist identifies and develops key strategies and tactics and stakeholder relationships to promote and advance OAHPP's knowledge exchange strategies.
- Assists with the development of a knowledge-exchange framework and strategy within OAHPP, and for the broader scientific community.
- Identify gaps and opportunities between internal resources and external requirements that align with OAHPP's strategy, and knowledge exchange strategy.
- Liaises with key external scientific stakeholders to develop partnerships in order to advance OAHPP's scientific and research capabilities in the area of knowledge exchange.
- Develops knowledge exchange plans including, developing tools, identification of audiences, messages and interventions to support OAHPP programs
- Develops knowledge-exchange policies to capture and build internal knowledge resources, based on best practices.
Reporting Relationship and Span of Control:
- At this point in time the Knowledge Exchange Specialist reports to the Vice President, Knowledge Exchange and Communications.
Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of research methods (including systematic reviews)
- Expert knowledge of key roles and stakeholders in knowledge exchange; particularly in public health
- Effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Highly effective organizational skills, capable of transforming strategies into tangible tactics and action plans
- Results-orientated, with an accomplished record within a medium-large organization.
- Strong networking skills
- Demonstrated ability to research, analyze and develop knowledge exchange options and present proposals
- Ability to lead the design and implementation of complex public health priorities and to assess and synthesize information
- Consensus-building, consultation and negotiation skills
- Project management skills
- Understanding of health policy issues and health policy development as it relates to practice change processes with a history of involvement in/or knowledge of public health
- Ability to conceptualize easily, learn quickly and independently exercise good judgment and demonstrate initiative
- Superior report-writing and excellent oral presentation
- Strong organizational skills to manage workload with competing priorities in tight timeframes.
Education & Experience:
- Relevant advanced academic qualifications required (e.g. Masters in Public Health)
- Experience in Knowledge-Exchange/Knowledge-Transfer/Knowledge-Translation functions
- Demonstrated success working within interdisciplinary teams and in partnerships with groups such as expert volunteers, researchers, advocates, and service providers with excellent relationship-building skills.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications and competencies.