Deadline April 28, 2010
May 10–August 30, 2010
The Retreat Coordinator will work with a Steering Committee (made up of experienced community workers and academics working in the field of social justice) to organize the 13th Annual Social Justice Summer Retreat. A member of the Board of Directors will act as a direct supervisor and meet with the student on a regular basis.
Please follow the link for more information on the Retreat: http://www.socialjustice.org/index.php?page=summer-retreat.
- Responsible for overall coordination of logistics leading up to and at the event.
- Coordinate regular Steering Committee meetings, take minutes and follow-up with assigned tasks.
- Process registrations and subsidy applications.
- Respond to high volume of inquiries via email and phone.
- Develop a publicity strategy and manage website content.
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteers to help with logistics.
- Track expenses and manage event budget.
- Consult and work collaboratively with external groups, including the development of relationships with other non-governmental organizations, activist groups and the private sector.
- Coordinate fundraising efforts.
- Produce an evaluation report for funders and recommendations for future events.
- Must have been registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year.
- Event and social justice organizing experience is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice work.
- Flexible and resourceful, self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge / experience using the internet (particularly social networking sites) to promote events and initiatives within the social justice community.
- Strong computer skills (including experience updating website content) would be considered a strong asset.
- Sensitive to individuals with mental health and/or developmental disabilities.
- Sensitive to various ethno-racial cultures and backgrounds.
- Candidate must be able to attend main event on August 26th-29, 2010 at Camp Arowhon, Algonquin Park.
$15/h, flexible hours.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] by April 28. Late applications will not be accepted.