Deadline: June 23, 2010
Supervisor of Neighbourhood Engagement, City of Guelph
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Supervisor of Neighbourhood Engagement within the Community Services Department. Reporting to the Manager of Integrated Services & Development, the successful candidate will provide oversight to broad range community engagement activities and the provision of community based and youth focused programs and services through neighbourhood associations, the Neighbourhood Support Coalition, the Youth Council and other strategic partnerships. This includes providing expertise to the development and implementation of innovative strategies to engage a diverse range of stakeholders in a wide range of civic issues. You will provide leadership to youth services co-ordination, inclusion and volunteer services as well as, the implementation of the Sustainable Neighborhood Engagement Framework (SNEF) with a focus on quality customer service, continuous improvement processes and service integration. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
• Leads, oversees and is accountable for day to day operations of the neighbourhood engagement team including the Youth Services Co-ordinator and the Inclusion and Volunteer Services Co-ordinator
• Leads the change management efforts involved in the transition and on going implementation of the SNEF
• Builds partnership initiatives focused on neighbourhoods and youth with external agencies and service organizations using community engagement approaches
• Promotes, facilitates and coordinates a neighbourhood and youth, integrated services approach with other City Departments
• Supports capacity building, organizational development and leadership development through a wide range of techniques that include training, mentorship, and expert advice
• Leads community engagement initiatives using a broad array of engagement tools and methods
• Liases with internal departments in creating and refining departmental processes and policies related to creating, partnering and evaluating relationships with non profits, government and funders
• Ensures compliance with all relevant regulations and legislation including City policies and by laws
• Manages and develops responses to issues ensuring effective briefing, strategic advice, options and recommendations to the Director and Management
• Supports the Manager of Integrated Services and Development in the analysis of issues and the preparation of reports and documents for Emergency Services, Community Services and Operations Committee (ECO) and City Council
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a university degree in Social Sciences, Leisure Studies or a related discipline and experience working in a community/civic engagement capacity with a government, non profit and/or community sector organization. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Experience motivating, training, and supervising staff in a service oriented, politically sensitive environment.
• Experience working with volunteers and voluntary groups/associations.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments in order to meet deadlines in a very demanding environment.
• Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
• Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
• Strong leadership and performance management skills with the ability to lead teams during period of transition.
• Ability to build and manage partnerships in complex, changing environments with stakeholder from various sectors.
• A team player with excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, able to respect and deal with highly confidential and sensitive issues.
• Knowledge of a range of community engagement tools and methodologies in initiatives of various scales.
• Knowledge of a range of capacity building and consultation methods used with voluntary/civic groups.
• Ability to work with and support Community Services’ management, staff, agencies and the community to achieve superior results and promote the service first philosophy of the City.
Salary: $62,980.03 - $78,725.03 per year
Applications must be received online by June 23rd, 2010. Please note you will be required to complete a short online questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. To apply for this position click on the “Apply for this Job” icon, instructions will follow.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.