Deadline August 3, 2010
Location: 480 University Avenue
Posting Date: July 12, 2010
Closing Date: August 3, 2010
The Ontario Agency for Health Protection & Promotion (OAHPP) is a centre for specialized research and knowledge in public health, focusing in the areas of infectious disease, infection control and prevention, health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention, and environmental health. It provides technical and scientific assistance, rapid on-site field support, as needed, specialized communication and training, as well as standards input and practical tools for implementing best practices. The Agency was created by the Ontario Government as a result of its commitment to Operation Health Protection, through the Health System Improvements Act (Bill 171). As Ontario’s first ever provincial Agency for Health Protection and Promotion, the Agency brings academic, clinical, and government experts together to create a centre of public health excellence in the province.
Reporting to the Director of Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention, the position is responsible for overseeing the evaluation of relevant initiatives within OAHPP’s Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention (HPCDPIP) portfolio. This includes providing advice and support for external evaluations relative to health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention activities carried out by governmental partners such as the Ministry of Health Promotion and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (Public Health Division), local public health units, health promotion resource centers and health promotion intermediaries, networks and communities of practice.
Reporting Relationship and Span of Control: The Senior Evaluator will report to the Director of Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention.
The Senior Evaluator will be responsible for:
- Developing evaluation plans for all HPCDPIP projects and overseeing the implementation of these plans;
- Working with the Strategic Advisor, Senior Planner and other team members to develop an overall evaluation framework for the HPCDPIP portfolio;
- Developing (or assisting in the development) of high quality evaluation tools and measures (e.g, questionnaires, focus group protocols, process and outcome indicators);
- Supervising external consultants hired to evaluate HPCDPIP initiatives as needed;
- Providing advice and support to evaluations of key initiatives carried out by HPCDPIP partners, including government ministries, local public health units, health promotion resource centers and health promotion intermediaries, networks and communities of practice. (e.g., participation in advisory committees, evaluation framework development);
- Ensuring the development of high quality electronic approaches to evaluation data collection and analysis;
- Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships within the Agency and their health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention networks and partners;
- Contributing to Agency-wide evaluation processes, including attendance on Agency planning and performance management committees;
- Representing the Agency and promoting its mandate and strategic initiatives through presentations, attendance at conferences and other activities;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- 5-10 years progressive evaluation experience at a provincial agency and/or ministry related to Agency core content areas: health promotion and the primary prevention of chronic diseases and injuries (including direct experience with conducting formative, process and outcome evaluations);
- Experience in working in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams;
- Proven expertise in the application of quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods (including instrument development, data collection, analysis and report writing);
- Demonstrated computer and data management skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SPSS, Project 2003) and familiarity with SharePoint;
- Superior oral and written communication to: develop evaluation reports and presentations to inform and communicate strategically;
- Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong analytical and conceptual abilities to develop ideas from inception through to implementation;
- Demonstrated project management, research, and analytical skills;
- Excellent consultation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills;
- Excellent problem solving skills.
Education and Experience:
- Masters degree in public health, evaluation, social sciences or related discipline and/or combined relevant experience
- Credentialed Evaluator status with the Canadian Evaluation Society (or ability to meet all eligibility requirements for Credentialed Evaluator status).
If you are interested in applying to this position, please go to http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title. Applications must be received by August 3, 2010.