Deadline: August 23, 2010
The Ontario Agency for Health Protection & Promotion (OAHPP) is a centre for specialized research and knowledge in public health, focusing in the areas of infectious disease, infection control and prevention, health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention, and environmental health. It provides technical and scientific assistance, rapid on-site field support, as needed, specialized communication and training, as well as standards input and practical tools for implementing best practices. The Agency was created by the Ontario Government as a result of its commitment to Operation Health Protection, through the Health System Improvements Act (Bill 171). The Agency brings academic, clinical, and government experts together to create a centre of public health excellence in the province.
The Planning Coordinator will support organization-wide activities related to strategic, business and operational planning, organizational performance and risk management. The Planning Coordinator will support designated program and service areas and OAHPP senior management in formulating and maintaining organizational data systems used for planning, and in data gathering, design, implementation and evaluation of planning supports. This position will also support organizational efforts to engage public health partners in reviewing and responding to proposed OAHPP initiatives and program and corporate planning.
OAHPP currently has two planning coordinator positions available.
This position is responsible for:
• Working with the Director of Planning and Implementation and program and designated service areas to:
• Maintain the annual planning calendar to identify planning activities and deliverables for strategic, results-based (RbP), business and operational planning
• Maintain a current log of strategic issues to be considered in the context of strategic planning
• Support internal and external consultation processes for planning activities
• Support annual Results-based Plan preparation and submission by working with designated Program and Service areas to identify, develop and format content and prepare consolidated drafts for review
• Support the development of the Business Plan preparation and submission by working with designated Program and Service areas to identify, develop and format content and prepare consolidated drafts for review
• Support the development of a performance management framework
• Support the development of databases, analyses, reports and dashboards for performance monitoring
• Support the development of the enterprise risk management framework and the associated analyses and reporting.
• Support the preparation of quarterly reports and ad-hoc reports on deliverables in accordance with the memorandum of understanding
• Support the implementation of program and service area plans by developing templates, reports and databases
• Provide advice to, and maintain ongoing collaborative relationships with all OAHPP departments and government counterparts to influence decision making and negotiations and optimize the design and development of strategies.
• Develop and nurture networks and alliances to enhance cooperative and timely access to appropriate expertise both internally and externally.
• Undertaking research and analysis on issues related to such deliverables;
• Preparing reports, briefing notes, presentations and other documents in a timely manner as required;
• Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships within OAHPP and with external stakeholders;
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Excellent oral and written communications to respond to issues, prepare and present reports, briefing materials and presentations;
• Excellent planning and problem solving skills
• Strong project management skills
• Experience in working in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams;
• Flexibility with a tolerance for ambiguity in a constantly evolving organization and health environment
• Knowledge of government planning cycles and processes
• Proven expertise in the principles/practices of strategic, results-based, business and operational planning;
• Excellent data management and analytic skills
• Ability to meet tight deadlines;
• Strong consultation, negotiation and interpersonal skills;
• Demonstrated computer skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project 2003) and familiarity with SharePoint.
Education and Experience:
• Demonstrated experience in planning in health sector, with particular emphasis on public health reform and renewal.
• Honours undergraduate degree in health-related field. Masters’ level training is an asset.
• Strong understanding of the public health sector and agencies in Ontario and Canada, of provincial government processes as well as understanding of the context for the creation of the OAHPP.
• 3-5 years of relevant experience.
If you are interested in applying to this position, please go to: http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title. Applications must be submitted by August 23, 2010.