Deadline September 3, 2010
Full Time Position
Unison Health and Community Services is formed by the voluntary merger of New Heights Community Health Centres and York Community Services. Unison’s mission - working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change. Our Diabetes Education Centre (DEC) is composed of four full time RN/RD teams and an outreach worker. We educate and counsel clients with impaired glucose tolerance/impaired fasting glucose and type 2 diabetes in both individual and group settings.
We are seeking a candidate for the position of Community Health Nurse to join the DEC team based at Keele & Rogers Site. The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong background in diabetes education and experience in counselling, advocacy and group facilitation. Work hours include some weeknights.
Responsibilities for the Community Health Nurse position are as follows:
- Provide individual counselling to clients with diabetes
- Facilitate group education classes
- Deliver presentations to community groups
- Conduct outreach in the community
- Develop educational resources
- Participate in team meetings and centre-wide initiatives
- Perform administrative tasks
Qualifications for the Community Health Nurse position are as follows:
- Certification as a Registered Nurse in the Province of Ontario
- Baccalaureate degree
- strong written and oral skills
- Ability to speak a second language is a significant asset
- Experience in diabetes education, community health in a interdisciplinary team setting
- Sensitivity to and knowledge of the needs of a multicultural, multiracial community
- Experience with group facilitation
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and ability to travel are requirement of the position.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by 5:00 p.m., September 3, 2010.
UNISON Health and Community Services
12 Flemington Road
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
We particularly encourage applicants who are reflective of the diversity of our communities. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interview will be contacted.