Deadline September 17, 2010
The Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse (CCSA) has a legislated mandate to provide national leadership and evidence-informed analysis and advice to mobilize collaborative efforts to reduce alcohol- and other drug-related harms.
CCSA is currently looking for an experienced Online Community Liaison to leverage our websites and develop innovative web-based tools to engage, grow and manage youth and professional communities in the substance abuse field. By keeping a pulse on the needs and opinions of these communities, this position will provide leadership to continue evolving CCSA’s web-based knowledge products and services. This position will report to the Director of Research and Knowledge Exchange and collaborate with other Knowledge Brokers, National Priority Advisors and Communications Advisors.
- Community development and support
- Develop, lead and implement innovative strategies and tactical plans to leverage social media and other web-based tools to identify, attract, engage and manage youth and professional communities in the substance abuse field.
- Gain an ongoing understanding of the perspectives, issues and needs of these communities by listening to and monitoring social media and online conversations.
- Gather knowledge about current and future community needs, issues, opportunities and insights.
- Use online communication skills and knowledge of these audiences to create engaging and informative content for a variety of interactive web-based tools, including forums, webinars, blogs, podcasts, videos and Twitter accounts.
- Use tact and diplomacy to respond to and manage relationships with these communities.
- Develop and lead creative online outreach strategies tailored to youth and professionals in the substance abuse field to generate interest in CCSA’s web-based products.
- Coordinate with Knowledge Brokers, National Priority Advisors and Communications Advisors to align online promotion and communications to these communities with other outreach and product promotions within CCSA.
- Participate in communications to personally connect with these communities to promote our products.
- Read blogs and Twitter accounts of partners, stakeholders, potential members and other influential people from youth and professional communities to identify opportunities for promoting our products and activities.
- Gather input for the ongoing development of dynamic, interactive websites and web-based tools, and communicate feedback to other divisions within CCSA. Community input may be generated through surveys, focus groups, online discussions, etc.
- Provide recommendations and consult with the web team about the production and integration of social media and other web-based tools such as RSS feeds, social networking tools, videos, podcasts, and webinars to help promote our products to communities.
- Stay up-to-date on web-based tools and best practices to proactively keep CCSA as an early adopter of these technologies.
- Identify and analyze issues, patterns and trends in customer activities, and work with the web team to provide statistical reporting.
- Establish metrics to measure the activity of communities with CCSA web-based products and evaluate the success of outreach strategies.
- Translate anecdotal or qualitative/quantitative data into recommendations and plans for revising the strategy for web-based products.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Journalism or Business with 3–5 years of experience in the field of alcohol and substance use or another health/social science. Or a Master’s degree in Health Science or Social Sciences with applied experience in social media, web-based media or journalism.
- 2–3 years of experience creating and maintaining strategies for successful web-based tools and building communities or networks.
- Proven and exceptional teamwork skills.
- Distinctive problem-solving and analytical capabilities.
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to handle customers with diplomacy.
- Experience interpreting results of data-reporting tools and analyzing Internet ‘chatter’.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate in person as well as online.
- Strategic thinker with proven ability to develop strategic plans.
- Working understanding of current web technology and web-based tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; fluency in French is an asset.
Interested candidates should submit a résumé and cover letter by email to [email protected] no later than September 17, 2010. We thank all respondents; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.