Deadline October 29, 2010
Purpose of Position:
The Senior Policy Advisor will coordinate the development and maintenance of highly complex corporate and board policies, lead the development of briefing materials, submissions and presentations to the Board or any of the Board’s standing committees and assist the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary to provide support to the OAHPP Board of Directors.
- Identify the need for new policies and recommend their development to the Executive Team;
- Recommend policy development processes which include necessary consultations and timelines while ensuring that new policies reflect applicable OPS directives and statutory requirements;
- Review draft policies for format and consistency with other policies/policy approach and ensure movement of draft policies through appropriate review processes;
- Develop an implementation plan for new and revised policies ensuring that any new or changed policies are implemented;
- Monitor issuance of new or revised OPS Directives which apply to OAHPP; review existing OAHPP policies for compliance and identify areas that require revision;
- Propose revised policies for review/comment and revision as necessary;
- Maintain a policy review schedule and initiate policy reviews per the schedule; undertake appropriate consultations and recommend policy amendments as necessary;
- Submit recommended amendments for review and comment and revision as necessary;
- In consultation with OAHPP program areas, lead the development and coordination of briefing materials, submissions and presentations to the Board or any of the Board’s standing committees;
- Attend all meetings and provide support to the Governance Standing Committee of the Board;
- Review materials going to the Board or committees ensure clarity and comprehensiveness;
- Review all materials intended for posting on the website to ensure compliance with confidentiality-related policies;
- Ensure that OAHPP Board committees and officials are properly informed about issues or any other relevant information in a timely manner in order to support decision making and/or information sharing;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Superior research, analytical and problem-solving skills to initiate, plan and conduct complex research and evaluate information gathered in the context of policy development;
- Excellent written communication skills to prepare clear and coherent policies, submissions and briefing notes on complex issues;
- Well developed negotiation, presentation and oral communication skills to conduct presentations to senior management and to consult with program areas;
- Knowledge of policy development and planning processes and corporate governance;
- Project management experience and ability to lead initiatives from conception to realization in this case new policy development and amendments;
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues and clients both internal and external;
- Demonstrated computer skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project 2003) and familiarity with SharePoint.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor or graduate degree in political science, social sciences or business administration or related discipline and/or combined experience;
- A minimum of 3-5 years experience in policy development and analysis;
- Experience in performing corporate secretariat functions and duties.
If you are interested in applying to this opportunity, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the position title. Applications must be received by October 29, 2010.