Deadline October 29, 2010
1 Full-Time Permanent Position
Black Creek Community Health Centre is a non-profit, community based organization that provides health care services and works with people to create safe and healthy communities. The Centre is funded by the Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) and receives funding from the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care for the Diabetes Education Program. We are currently seeking 1 Diabetes Nurse Educator to join a team consisting of Diabetes Nurse Educators, Registered Dietitians, Community Health Worker and Program Manager.
Working closely with the Registered Dietitians and Community Health Worker, the nurse educator is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of the Diabetes Education Program. This will include assessment, group education sessions and individual counseling to those with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes.
- Participate in program planning and resource development
- Conduct thorough nursing assessment of clients with diabetes, taking into consideration cultural background and the social determinants of health
- Use a variety of teaching methods and principles of education to assist clients to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to self manage their diabetes
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up to-date medical records, communication with the client’s primary care provider and other service providers
- Engage in health promotion activities on and off site in collaboration with other service providers
- Act as a diabetes resource to staff members and community partners
- Contribute to policy development in relation to health care service delivery and/or professional practice
- RN or BScN in Nursing or recognized equivalent
- Certificate of registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Minimum 2 years experience within Diabetes Education Program or related position
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) preferred or willingness to obtain within 2 years
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in group facilitation and knowledge of adult education methods
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Sensitivity and awareness of cultural, racial, economic and socially diverse communities
- Commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care and resources
- Experienced in the use of computers and various software applications
- Proficiency in a second language an asset
- A nice sense of humour wouldn’t hurt.
Black Creek CHC is a client-centred organization serving people from diverse backgrounds. We especially encourage candidates to apply who enjoy being part of a dynamic multicultural, multiracial community.
Salary range: $55,250.82 to $66,567.39 plus excellent health benefits and regularly scheduled hours.
Start Date: December 1st. 2010 or before
Application Process: Please send current resume and a detailed cover letter explaining your interest in the position by Friday, October 29, 2010 to:
Chilsa Neves, Manager, Diabetes Education Program
Black Creek CHC
2202 Jane Street, Unit 5
Toronto, ON M3M 1A4
No faxes, e-mails or phone calls please.
Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.