Deadline July 1, 2011
Maternity Leave: 12-month Contract (35 hrs/week)
Black Creek Community Health Centre is a non-profit, community based organization that provides health care services and works with people to create safe and healthy communities. We are currently seeking 1 Registered Dietitian to join the Diabetes Education Program, consisting of Diabetes Nurse Educators, Registered Dietitians, Community Health Worker, Social Worker and Program Manager. Please note: This is a 12-month Full-time Maternity Leave Contract position (35 hours/week).
Working closely with the Diabetes Nurse Educators, Registered Dietitians, Social Worker and Community Health Worker, the Registered Dietitian is responsible for supporting the development, implementation and evaluation of the Diabetes Education Program. This will include group education sessions and individual counseling to adults with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes.
- Conduct thorough nutritional assessment of clients with diabetes, taking into consideration cultural background and the social determinants of health
- Develop client-focused health maintenance plans related to diabetes
- Provide Diabetes Education to clients through individual counseling and group diabetes education classes
- Regular monitoring of clients within scope of practice
- Advocate on behalf of the individual and systemic issues as they arise
- Use a variety of teaching methods and principles of education to assist clients to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to self manage their diabetes
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up to-date medical records, communication with the client’s primary care provider and other service providers
- Engage in health promotion activities on and off site in collaboration with other service providers
- Participate in program planning, evaluation, and resource development
- Participate in chart reviews and case conferences, and refer to other service providers where appropriate
- Act as a diabetes resource to staff members and community partners
- Contribute to policy development in relation to health care service delivery and/or professional practice
- University degree in food and nutrition from a recognized university
- Certificate of registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario
- Completion of an accredited Dietitian Internship
- Minimum 2 years experience within a Diabetes Education Program or related position
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) designation an asset
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in group facilitation and knowledge of adult education methods
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Sensitivity and awareness of cultural, racial, economic and socially diverse communities
- Commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care and resources
- Experienced in the use of computers and various software applications (e.g., Purkinje, Microsoft Office Suite)
- Proficiency in a second language an asset
- Willingness to work at multiple sites due to program scheduling & requirements;
- Evening work will be required
- Subject to a Police Reference Check
- A nice sense of humour wouldn’t hurt.
Black Creek CHC is a client-centred organization serving people from diverse backgrounds. We especially encourage candidates to apply who enjoy being part of a dynamic multicultural, multiracial community.
Salary range: $ 52,675-$ 63,619
Start Date: September 1, 2011
Application Process: Please send current resume and a detailed cover letter explaining your interest in the position by Friday, July 1, 2011 to the attention of: Michelle Westin, Manager - Diabetes Education Program, Black Creek Community Health Centre, 2202 Jane St-Unit 5, Toronto, ON M3M 1A4.
NOTE: No faxes, e-mails or phone inquiries will be accepted.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.