No deadline noted
Reports to: Manager, Diversity Mission Team
Department: Research Advocacy and Health Promotion
Status: Full Time
The Heart and Stroke Foundation is a volunteer-based health charity organization. Its mission is to lead in eliminating heart disease and stroke and reducing their impact through the advancement of research and its application, the promotion of healthy living, and advocacy. The Heart and Stroke Foundation’s diversity mission team is dedicated to delivering programs and engaging with diverse communities by building partnerships and reaching out to key decision makers. As South Asians have a three to five times greater risk of dying from heart disease or stroke than other populations, the incumbent plays an integral role in helping South Asian families reduce their risk and live longer, healthier lives.
As part of the Diversity Mission Team, the incumbent will be based out of the Provincial (Toronto) office, and supported by leadership volunteers, to deliver and support activities to engage communities for community impact on the Foundation’s mission. The incumbent will develop and implement an annual community engagement plan that reflects the province-wide mission priorities with a focus on South Asian needs and priorities. The specialist will serve as a resource and support to both the Community Mission Team and the foundation.
Travel within the GTA is required and access to a vehicle is necessary.
Monitor provincial South Asian needs and execute the provincial plan with a focus on initiatives like:
- Spark Together for Healthy Kids/ Heart Healthy Children and Youth
- Complete an annual evaluation of the progress made against the plan.
- Provide input on the development of a community based strategy to inform provincial goals and plans.
- Provide specialized expertise to Community Mission Teams to assist in the development of a plan to engage South Asian communities throughout the province.
- Manage GTA delivery of South Asian focused initiatives related to the promotion of healthy living and advocacy.
- Provide leadership and influence health partners and volunteers concerning provincial advocacy efforts.
- Recruit and guide community leadership volunteers, and South Asian Health Ambassadors.
- Coordinate with other Heart and Stroke programs and work within the fundraising environment to provide information to Foundation fundraisers.
- Accountable for developing, implementing and monitoring provincial South Asian focused plan
- Accountable for building and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders within the South Asian Community.
- Act as a provincial lead for South Asian Communities within the Foundation. Must be familiar with South Asian Communities.
- Maximizing opportunities and minimizing overlaps/confusion between existing fundraising programs and new initiatives
- Balancing the need to be responsive to South Asian communities as well as to province wide foundation goals for greatest impact on mission
- Managing a large number of relationships and expectations with both internal and external stakeholders
- Measuring the success of provincial and GTA programs
- Managing through situations where autonomous decisions have been made and implemented by self or others but within a set internal structure
- 4+ years of health, recreation, community development, public policy and advocacy, and/or government relations
- Related post secondary education (i.e., public health, health promotion, public policy, adult education, community development)
- Strong experience working with South Asian Communities
- Extensive facilitation experience with multiple stakeholders and interest groups
- Proven knowledge or experience recruiting and working with volunteers
- Proven knowledge or experience with advocacy and/or policy development preferred
- Proven ability to persuade and lead
- Proven ability to manage workload with little structure
- Fluency in at least one South Asian language preferred
- Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
Please forward your resume to:
Human Resources Department
2300 Yonge Street, 13th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4P 1E4
Please include the job title in the subject line of your email.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.