Did you know that that people of South Asian descent are more likely to have high blood pressure and diabetes and are at 3-5 times at higher risk of heart disease and stroke than the general population? (See http://www.heartandstroke.ca/southasian for more information).
We are looking to train volunteers who are strongly connected to the South Asian community, and speak at least one South Asian language to help raise awareness of about the risk factors for heart disease and stroke and promote healthy living strategies.
This volunteer role is for you if you are:
- Passionate about promoting health in the South Asian community
- Have a strong background in public speaking and/or community outreach
- Seeking to explore and enhance your leadership and advocacy potential (or aspire to be a leader and advocate).
- Having a health background (either in: fitness, nursing, medical/biology, dietitian etc. is preferred but not required). Survivors also welcome!
As a South Asian Heart Health Ambassador, some of your tasks will include:
- Public speaking to raise awareness of risk factors for heart disease and stroke
- Promoting healthy living strategies
- Attending South Asian events on behalf of the Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Engaging South Asian community leaders in our advocacy & media campaigns etc.
Expected Time commitment: Minimum 6-month for up to 10 hours a month (weekdays / weekends)
If you are interested in joining our team of South Asian Heart Health Ambassadors and avail this great opportunity to build your skills & capacity, network and engage with members of the South Asian community we are holding volunteer training sessions in three key areas of the GTA.
Please pre-register and email us a copy of your resume & a cover letter outlining your interest to:
Firdaus Ali, Community Mission Specialist for South Asian Communities at: [email protected] or call 416-489-7111 ext. 437 mentioning which area training you would be interested in.
- Markham – Saturday, January 28, 2012 from 10 am to 3:00 pm at: Welcome Centre, 7220 Kennedy Road, Unit #8, Markham, ON L3R 7P2 (major intersection: Kennedy Road & Denison)
- Mississauga - Saturday, February 4, 2012 from 10 am to 3:00 pm at: 25 Watline Avenue, Suite 500 (fifth floor), Mississauga, ON L4Z 2Z1 (major intersection: Hurontario Street and Matheson Blvd.)
- Toronto - Saturday, February 25 from 10 am to 3:00 pm at: Heart & Stroke Foundation Provincial Office, 2300 Yonge Street, Suite 1300 (Boardrooms A & B), Toronto, ON M4P 1E4
Limited seats available. Pre-registration is required to attend the training.