Deadline February 9, 2012
Position: Community Dietitian
Department: Health & Social Services
Division: Health Unit
Reports To: Program Coordinator, Population Health
Employee Group: CUPE 4700
Salary: $37.04 ($1 Less For 6 Mos.)
Status: Temporary Full Time (from date of hire to on or about December 15, 2012)
Only those to be interviewed will be contacted
Posting #: CUPE 4.12
Posting Period: January 26, 2012 – February 9, 2012
Analyze and provide nutrition information to the community and facilitate health promotion strategies to address nutrition issues. Provide consulting services to health, education and social service professionals, community agencies and individuals. Problem solving with individuals, coalitions, professionals, community organizations and the media is a key component of our job.
Knowledge & Skill:
- Must be a registered member in good standing with the College of Dietitians of Ontario (with education requirements as outlined by the College);
- Two to three years relevant experience (inclusive of internship), preferably in community nutrition programs (health & nutrition promotion, community development, program planning, implementation and evaluation) or equivalent
- Well developed oral and written communications skills.
- The ability to use corporate standard computer software and computers.
- The ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Proven interpersonal skills
- A valid Ontario driver’s license and have access to a vehicle as travel is required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Research, interpret and convey current scientific information regarding food, nutrition, diet and health to health, education and social services professionals and consumers through media articles, newsletters, fact sheets, pamphlets, radio, conversations and presentations.
- Provide nutrition education, information and consulting service to community (to individuals and within a group forum) encouraging individual/group skill development regarding food and nutrition, including problem solving.
- Plan, implement and evaluate nutrition education presentations, workshops and in-service education for health, educational and social service professionals, community groups, local agencies and health unit staff.
- Develop, implement and evaluate many community-based programs that contain a nutrition component, with many different target groups.
- Facilitate/assist community groups to address nutrition and food security programs/issues relevant to the community;
- Advocate for education programs/policies.
- Identify nutrition promotion programming needs by reviewing epidemiological, socio-demographic and behavioural assessment data and/or collecting and analyzing current/new data related to nutrition.
- Assist with/promote relative policy development and implementation of same in community sectors such as schools, workplaces.
- Assist in the preparation of an annual operational plan which, once approved, is incorporated into the team operational plan.
- Maintain current level of knowledge relative to food, nutrition and health regulations.
Incumbent(s) to this position must provide the Employer with a current criminal reference check.
Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Note: Interested applicants MUST submit their resume in confidence to the Human Resources/Staff Development Department by 4:30 p.m. on the last day of the posting.
Human Resources & Staff Development Department
21 Lynnwood Avenue
Simcoe, Ontario N3Y 2V7
Phone: (519) 428-9711
Fax: (519) 426-9876
Thank you for your interest in this position.
An equal opportunity employer
Note: As per current legislation, if it is determined that those employees with priority placement status are suitable for this job, before a selection decision has been made, this competition may be cancelled.