Deadline April 27, 2012
De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre is a non-profit organization committed to improving the wellness of the Aboriginal community through holistic, culturally appropriate healthcare programs and services. Some services offered include primary health care, traditional healing, mental health support, outreach and health promotion.
The centre is currently recruiting one full-time Registered Dietitian to join the Diabetes Management Team which provides clinical care and education to patients living with diabetes. The Registered Dietitian will provide evidence-based, client-centered guidance on the dietary aspects of diabetes management in both individual and group settings.
- Provide one-on-one counseling to patients living with diabetes
- Develop, implement, and evaluate nutrition care plans for patients with diabetes
- Facilitate group education sessions on healthy eating and diabetes management
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up-to-date medical records, monitoring clients on a regular basis and communicating with other members of the team as required
- Develop educational resources as needed
- Perform administrative tasks such as complete statistics on a weekly basis and contribute to the program’s quarterly report
- Participate in team meetings and network-wide meetings
- participate in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Diabetes Management Program
- Bachelor’s degree in Food and Nutrition and completion of an accredited Dietetic Internship program
- Registered member in good standing with the College of Dietitians of Ontario
- Thorough knowledge and proficiency in diabetes care; Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) status an asset
- One (1) to five (5) years experience in diabetes care or related field
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the social, economic, environmental and cultural practices of the Aboriginal population
- Experience working with an Aboriginal population an asset
- Experience developing and providing culturally appropriate healthcare programs an asset
- Excellent planning, development, implementation and evaluation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as a member of an inter-disciplinary team
- Willingness to travel to satellite site in Brantford; a valid Class “G” driver’s license is required
Interested candidates please submit your resume and cover letter quoting ‘Registered Dietitian’ in subject line to:
Attn: Ashen Chetty, Diabetes Program Coordinator
De dwa da dehs nye>s Aboriginal Health Centre
678 Main Street East, Hamilton, ON L8M 1K2
Email: [email protected]
Fax: (905) 544-4247
We would like to thank all applicants, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Preference will be given to qualified applicants of Aboriginal descent.
Closing date for external applicants: Friday April 27th, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.