Deadline May 25, 2012
The Ontario Public Health Association (OPHA, http://www.opha.on.ca) is a not-for-profit member-based organization that is focused on advancing public health within the Province of Ontario and has played a key public health leadership role for over 62 years. OPHA is pleased to be advertising for a Program Manager Position to assist on a number of key initiatives and responsibilities for the Association. This position will be critical to supporting the Association’s goals in awareness raising, policy development, capacity building and knowledge exchange and transfer with an emphasis on healthy eating, nutrition, health promotion and public health. This position will report to the Executive Director.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage program staff to ensure the effective and efficient operations of relevant health programs and initiatives.
- Ensure effective staff supervision: performance management, professional development training and supervision, mentoring, hiring / firing responsibilities, payroll and other related management duties.
Recruit and performance manage volunteers.
- Ensure the effective operations of relevant health programs and initiatives through effective program planning, management, risk management and assessment. Engage in daily problem-solving to proactively manage negative and positive risks.
- Ensure the appropriate resourcing of programs to ensure optimal program performance.
- Contract management: procurement process, contract development and contract management to ensure all obligations and risks are addressed on behalf of the organization.
- Undertake effective financial management practices: budget development, monthly financial and variance reporting, financial forecasting, and other reports as required.
- Ensure appropriate financial management.
- Identify new sources of program revenue: grant applications, partnership opportunities, research funding and other.
- Engage in effective strategic planning and execution of strategic plan.
- Develop annual operational plan and ensure alignment with organizational strategic plan and contractual obligations.
- Identify, critically analyze and develop recommendations on strategic priorities and opportunities that will advance the profile, credibility and impact of the programs and initiatives the Manager will operate and that of the organization.
- Identify negative risks associated with the operations of the program and related initiatives and that may impact effectiveness, efficiency, and credibility.
- Identify and ensure sustainable and effective stakeholder relationships with relevant and priority program and organizational stakeholders: health promotion, public health, government, NGOs and others where applicable.
- Ensure effective client relations management: public health professionals, OPHA membership, health promotion partners, and community partners.
Research and Evaluation
- Able to apply general research and evaluation principles to effective programming management and implementation.
- Undertake literature reviews and searches to ensure knowledge currency in a number of areas including policy development, knowledge exchange and transfer, and specific public and health promotion issues.
- Communicate and explain complex policies, programs and processes to key organizational stakeholders and external organizational stakeholders (client, government, partners).
- Develop annual and in-year reports on operations and issues management approaches that target different audiences including staff, immediate supervisor, Board, clients and external stakeholders.
- Develop an effective annual communications plan and long range strategy that will ensure the effective operations of all existing and emerging program communication vehicles: website, quarterly newsletter, listserves, web-conferencing and etc.,
- Represent OPHA at meetings, consultations, committees/work groups and events.
- Support the administration and operations of the organization as required and requested by the immediate supervisor.
- Some travel in Ontario may be required (office in Toronto).
- Minimum of a Masters degree - completed (in a public health or health promotion related discipline preferred).
Skills and Experience - Mandatory
- Superior program management skills.
- A minimum of 7 years of management experience required, preferably in health (preferably public health promotion) and policy development.
- Strong human resource skills and experience: performance management, professionals development, hiring/firing, and mentoring.
- Superb stakeholder engagement and consultation skills with political acuity and able to address issues and challenges with tact and discretion.
- Excellent oral and written communications to respond to issues, prepare and present reports, briefing notes and materials and presentations.
- Good research and evaluation skills.
- Proven expertise in the principles/practices of policy research/development, environmental scanning, trends forecasting, and issues analysis with at least 5 years experience.
- Excellent critical analytical skills.
- Able to engage in strategic thinking and planning.
- Strong consultation, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong risk management skills set.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Advanced interpersonal skills.
Skills and Experience - Preferred
- Familiarity in nutrition, healthy eating, health promotion and/or population health.
- Strong understanding of the public health sector and community agencies in Ontario and Canada, as well as municipal, regional and provincial government.
- Knowledge and familiarity of the Ontario Public Health Standards.
Type of Position: full-time position.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] no later than May 25, 2012. Only those qualified candidates will proceed to an interview stage which will be scheduled. We thank all applicants in advance. No inquiries please.