Deadline June 1, 2012
Position No.: 2012-18
Position Title: Health Promotion Specialist – Permanent, 1 FTE – 35 hrs/week
Location: Woolwich - Guelph
Program/Division: Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Community Health
Program Manager: Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Position Summary: As a member of a multi-disciplinary team, will plan, coordinate, implement and evaluate health promotion strategies in the assigned program areas. These strategies include community development, program planning and evaluation, coalition building, inter-community collaboration, policy development, social marketing, and health communications.
The focus will be in the area of tobacco prevention, and prevention of exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Tobacco prevention work will involve working collaboratively with the Tobacco Control Area Network (TCAN) on regional initiatives.
Area of responsibilities:
- Apply health promotion expertise in research, planning, implementation and evaluation to assigned program areas.
- Engage internal and external stakeholders in the development of community-based health promotion strategies, including awareness, skill-building, creating supportive environments and healthy public policy.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other community-based health, social and education agencies, professional groups and business as appropriate to assignment.
- Ensure the maintenance of statistics and data for the purpose of monitoring, evaluation and planning of health promotion initiatives.
- Provide health promotion technical expertise to community coalitions and organizations that partner with public health.
- Plan, organize and conduct educational workshops, in-services and presentations for staff and the community. Identify and develop educational materials and resources.
- Prepare grant applications, project budgets and funding proposals both internally and with external groups.
- Mentor divisional staff to promote their development of health promotion skills.
- Provide health promotion expertise, supervision and direction to placement students. Monitor and evaluate work of student, work closely with professors to ensure learning objectives are met.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Hours of Work: Office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Flexible working hours are required.
Position Effective: August 13, 2012
Salary: Band 7: $35.29/hr to $41.50/hr
- Baccalaureate degree in health or related discipline
- Masters degree in health promotion or health science
Technical expertise and experience in health promotion strategies including:
- adult education
- social marketing
- health education and health communication
- community development and mobilization
- program planning and evaluation
- policy development
- coalition building and advocacy
- Demonstrated competencies in research design (qualitative and quantitative), epidemiology, statistics and associated computer software
- Excellent presentation and group facilitation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Project management skills
- Valid driver’s license and use of vehicle
- Maintain annual influenza and adult immunization.
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please forward a resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
474 Wellington Road 18, Suite 100
Fergus, ON N1M 2W3
Fax (519) 846-0323
Deadline for application is Monday, June 11, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.
WDG Public Health is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine eligibility of employment".